Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:32:58 -0800
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      NVC thanking veterans... & Marine Corps Birthday today
Comments: To: Geza Polony <gezapolony@sbcglobal.net>

my dear vanagon friends

i have a friend who often sends me a broadcast email fwded from several dozen other readers... the email is about thanking a veteran ... because i am not reading this email in german ... i pointed out to him that my van has original owners manual is in german i had to use google translator to decipher... i also point out that veterans were not invented with the conflict against the huns ...

My own mother a CWAC [Canadainn Womans Army Core] lost her finance due to assignation in france by german soldiers 7 canadian regular army soldiers were shot behind the ear that day with their feet and hands bound behind them ... Ironically my finance is of german ancestry [ohio} ... so i asked my mother if she had any unresolved prejudice before i brought my love home to her... she said no ..it was a time of war and many things went on that were brutal and unkind in every ward she held no resentment of hatred toward german society ...

my father a career navy chief petty officer served in the north atlantic and even did a stint on the Bonaventure [aircraft carrier] my grandfather career army both for england and canada one brother retrd. RCN 7 years

so back to the point ... how to thank a veteran ... it is easy ... great them with the same hearty well met fellow that you reserve for close friends hold your personal disdain for all things military ... save that for the after dinner drinks and cigar session in the parlor ...

and most of all remember the people in the rest of the world who would love to have the freedom to... turn on the internet ... listen to shock jock radio buy pornography ... go to church of their choice... drive from one state/country to the other with little more than a drivers license or a passport to prove identity to read as many books as they like... own as much property as they can amass... own as much money as they can gather... go as in debt as they please ... own a video camera ... indeed a video phone drink as much liqueur as you please and say almost anything you want to anyone so long as it is not pointed hatred ... be as poor as you like live in a house or apartment that is open to any visitor you care to invite... whear clothes that cover or reveal as much as you decide

if you need more convincing watch the movie ... the unbearable lightness of being read jack londons ... the iron heel

and give thanks that you can do both of those things in your german VW [the bastard child of the beetle... hitlers car for the people Volks Wagan] reading a book printed in china ... watching a dvd on a player made in japan with electronic parts from indonisia ... and take a break to get a pop or coffee by traveling on a road free of land mines and enemies of the government of the moment not to mention meeting with friends at busses by the what ever land mark you choose ....

and just one other thing ... those of you saying a particular war is in error or wrong ... there is a john wayne / henry fonda / kirk douglas movie where he looses a leg at the end ... in the movie wayne has a son who calls the war truemans trumped up war and wayne relies that he can recall when it was wilsons trumped up war but more to the point the movie itself explores a host of ideas including manipulation of the press and army /navy showmanship to curry popular success for future elections so before you whine to loudly that this president or that prime minister is wrong or right take note that you can freely whine to your hearts content in public...

in your heart first... is how you thank a veteran

readers thanks for your time

-- roger w There are two kinds of jobs in the world: Picking up garbage and telling people things. Successful people do both, with the same good attitude. (riw) ----------------------------------------------------------- View the growing list of video work at: http://one.revver.com/watch/376349 http://one.revver.com/watch/357909/qt/affiliate/10 http://one.revver.com/watch/345572/qt http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7135104650374818257 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3259745150182742364