Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Nov 2007 07:19:23 -0800
From:         Brian Jarvinen <brianvwagain@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      1.9L itermittent stalling at random

well it's that time again. I've been through this before but have to work through it again. the fuel seems to cut out at seemingly random times.

I tried to do some archive searches about my questions but on dial-up that is very frustrating.

My Westy is an 84 1.9L manufactured 12/83; I also have an extra Vanagon manufactured 11/83 that I've mostly finished parting out and using for spares.

but something is cutting off the fuel seemingly at random. first symptoms appeared on rainy days but we've had a lot of those and I don't think an exposed wire getting moist is the culprit because the symptoms started again on a warm sunny day this weekend.

Checked so far -

all grounds cleaned, di-electric greased, sealed with wire-dryer spray.

fuel filter changed.

temp-sensor II - about two years old. but van can run perfectly when fully warmed for long periods, then start the herky-jerkys. previous experience with this sensor going bad was much different but I guess still possible. haven't tested it with slowly warming water yet.

fuel pump relays - seem solid. have had these cause this problem in the past, detectable when ever hitting a bump in the road. also when the inside of the relay rattles a little bit. swapped one out anyway, no change.

fuel pump - pressurizes normally on start up. I never hear it make the re-pressurization sound again after that. but it is the original pump ... 24 years, 250K miles...

so question 1 - what are the symptoms of a fuel pump going bad?

fuel pressure regulator - I could test this, I have in the past with the little port at the fuel-line T, but testing for this is...what if when I test it, everything is working just exactly perfect? I wouldn't think a regulator problem would be so random.

the coil - actually swapped this out for other reasons. an educational experience I will write about in another post, perhaps it will help someone else. no change in symptoms.

ahhh, the air sensors - I can test these with the box off, per Bentley, and all tests show correctly. again testing can only reveal so much - sometimes the van runs perfectly for 20 minutes at a time. what if I am testing when the sensor arm is on the right spot?

so question 2 - what are the symptoms of these sensors flaking out?

I'm leaning towards just replacing the air sensors. unfortunately I already gave away my extra air box I think, can't find my extra one anywhere. but at $150 and several days shipping, I keep hoping I can find something simpler to try next.