Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Nov 2007 11:30:34 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Was: Leaky ... fuel injector? Now: suck fuel/air through
              vaccum side of fuel regulator?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Thank you very much Dennis. We'll see what pans out. PO said it ran, spewed, then stopped. Hopefully "stopped" didnt' mean "Ka-KLANK" stopped!

I will try to rig something up for priming with oil. Maybe a gravity feed of some kind?

Or maybe I have a "drill" pump around somewhere....

Thanks much,

Neil

On 11/12/07, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > The pistons and cylinders can be very forgiving of the gas washout. The > bearings are not. Yes, drain and refill the engine with fresh oil. While the > filter is off, use a gear oil pump or other device filled with fresh oil and > some how connect it to the center oil fillter pipe. Then push the fresh oil > into the galleys. It will not need a lot of pressure. Slowly push the oil > in. You will feel the galleys fill and keep pushing some more. This will get > oil to the bearings. > > Put the filter back on and then go ahead and start the engine. The pump will > prime a lot faster then using the starter and the spash will quickly get > those cylinder walls lubed. My bet is that that pressure regulator failed > while the engine was running make it runn real bad. Then after it was shut > down it never restarted and then filled the cylinders. As long as the enigne > wasn't forced to turn with a cylinder filled, it should be OK. > > Dennis > > > >From: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> > >Reply-To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Subject: Re: Was: Leaky ... fuel injector? Now: suck fuel/air through > > vaccum side of fuel regulator? > >Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:04:13 -0800 > > > >Oh don't worry I'm thinking positively! --- :^) > > > >Yah the PO claimed he could do 110-120 KM's per hour in this thing. > >And climbing hills was no problem (relatively speaking in a Vanagon > >world). He figured engine was rebuilt at one time because of how it > >performed. > > > >I will def. check out FI's. And thanks for pointer to ECU and fuel > >pump. I will pre-oil what I can (a bit of oil in each spark plug hole, > >fresh oil/filter) spin it, then try firing it. > > > >Thanks, > > > >Neil. > > > >On 11/12/07, David Kao <dtkao0205@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > Neil: > > > > > > WBX engines in my opinion are very tough. I used to think of getting > > > rid of my 84 due to it getting old and sitting there too long not being > > > used. I got it registered again and gave it some tune up and fuel. > > > It did not disappoint me. > > > > > > My suggestion is to think more positively. It can be a perfect engine > > > still. Drain it. Put fresh oil in it. Remove the fuel lines and > >injectors > > > from the top of the engine and check them out. Disconnect the power to > > > the fuel pump. Disconnect ECU and ignition wiring and spark plugs. > > > Then crank the engine and see how it spins. Make sure battery is fully > > > charged and give it a compression check. If you get 120 PSI for all 4 > > > cylinders the engine can climb the 10,000 ft summit on Tioga Pass in > > > Yosemite at 3rd gear. It will run up to 80 MPH if you push it on flat > > > freeway. That's what my 84 did in the summer this year. Even if one or > > > two cylinders get low compression at 100 PSI it can be easily rebuilt > >still. > > > This list has plenty of helping hands. Good luck and don't send it to > > > recycle. > > > > > > David > > > > > > > > > --- neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > > > > > Last night I was picturing in my mind just how horrid it could be with > > > > all that fluid in there and the PO trying to start it. Yikes! Yah who > > > > knows what happened in there. Thanks for the heads up though. > > > > > > > > With any luck nothing got bent or suffered from too much friction. If > > > > it runs it runs. Someone gets a deal. If not, I'm parting it out then > > > > it's scrap metal time for the engine block/heads. > > > > > > > > Unless a rebuilder will give me core $$ even though I'm not buying an > > > > engine from him. Ehhhh.... not likely! > > > > > > > > Neil. > > > > > > > > On 11/12/07, Allan Streib <streib@cs.indiana.edu> wrote: > > > > > David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM> writes: > > > > > > > > > > > There is a possibility that it is still a good engine despite that > > > > > > it is full of gasoline in it. I think one of the injectors has its > > > > > > core shot out and the engine has become a deep pit for receiving > > > > > > constant flow of gas as soon as the fuel pump begins pumping. Save > > > > > > the engine. Whatever the problem it may be it is not one in the > > > > > > engine. > > > > > > > > > > If it hydrolocked with a liquid in the cylinder, you could have a > >bent > > > > > rod. > > > > > > > > > > Allan > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - > > > > "Jaco" (Bustorius) > > > > > > > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________ > > > Do You Yahoo!? > > > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > > http://mail.yahoo.com > > > > > > > > >-- > >Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - > >"Jaco" (Bustorius) > > > >http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > >