Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:16:55 -0500
From:         BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon vs Eurovan

I got an '03 MV in August, these are my thoughts.

>> Is a Eurovan much harder to park in tight spaces? I live in NYC, always, always parallel park. <<

Can't really answer that as parallel parking is pretty rare where I am. The few times I did it did not seem any harder. Both are harder than a sedan.

>> Is the MV Eurovan smaller in the interior than the 87 wolfie interior? <<

The rear passenger area seems roughly the same, it's the luggage area in the back that is smaller. Though you do have storage under the rear bed and seat that area above the bed is pretty small in comparison to the Vanagon.

>> Would I get better mileage with a Auto vanagon, or auto eurovan... assuming good tune, 50/50 city/hwy and conservative driving? <<

I've been getting 16 MPG pure city and there are allot of hills where I live. It's pretty though on vehicles. I've gotten 23 MPG driving to the shore on the highway. Eurovans really like the premium fuels BTW.

>> Is a Eurovan still good for DIY repair, or do they have costly systems that are almost impossible to repair by an average shadetree mechanic? <<

When I open the Vanagon engine lid everything I need is right there. When you open the Eurovan hood there is a giant engine squeezed in there and placed so almost nothing is accessible. I personally don't plan on doing allot of work on it myself, it's also still under warranty though.

>> Do Eurovan's handle as well as vanagons? <<

Hard to compare. The Eurovan is an absolute dream to drive, very sturdy, excellent handling, nice ride, etc. I say hard to compare because my Vanagon is an un-restored 83 with camping gear. It squeaks, rattles, etc. If the Vanagon had only 58K miles on it I could judge better. I've never driven a late model Vanagon Carat, etc.

>> Cost of ownership of an Eurovan, much higher or lower than Vanagon? <<

Well the Eurovan parts are more expensive that's for sure. The real question is how often the vehicles need service and what kind of condition they are in.

When I go out on a cold morning such as today and have the choice between driving the 83.5 Westy where the heat takes 10 minutes to start or the Eurovan with cozy heated seats, dual climate control, etc. it's not a hard decision to make ;)

Bryan