Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:10:20 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Was: Leaky ... fuel injector? Now: suck fuel/air through
              vaccum side of fuel regulator?
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@yahoo.com>

Hi David.

Yah junk yard is closed today, so it's just my time and fuel. Is intended as a temp fix in terms of washer brazed on stock bracket. The brackets I'm making to support alt bracket, have to be made. I really didn't want to run engine with what was in place. Anything i do to strenghten and stabilize, is better than what's there.

From what I've seen in archives, this problem has happened to other listers.

Not sure if studs break on their own, but if one snaps off a stud (easy to do w/rusty nuts/studs) they have to drill it out. From what I've read/seen, this means removing a steel coolant line that is in front of studs. On my 1.9 WBX, someone obiously didn't bother drilling out the broken stud. They used the remaining one only. It got loose, wobbled and ovaled the stud hole, and the rear cross bolt hole for holding alt to bracket got messed up too. One wobble led to another.

I think that coupled with age, there is a design flaw aspect to this. Those nuts are hard to get at to remove bracket. Having said as much, why someone would need to remove the bracket is beyond me. Maybe a shady tree dude like me tried to remove alternator and due to lack of knowledge, went after a stud, and snapped it off. And so on and so on....

Neil.

On 11/12/07, David Kao <dtkao0205@yahoo.com> wrote: > I don't understand why the alternator bracket can be in such a bad > shape. Mine on both 83.5 and 84 are tight, fit and like the day one > I got them. In the junkyard people will yank the alternator but leave > the bracket alone. They can be had for a few bucks I believe. > > David > > --- neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > True that! I always enjoy reading what Dennis has to write. > > > > I just finished brazing a washer onto the alt. bracket. (One hole for > > the cross bolt got WAY too big) It should hold for a while. That and > > the bracket supports I'm making for the bracket. Temporary measures. > > Better than what was there. (One hole in block getting oval, the other > > a broken stud) > > > > Oh the responsibility! Oh the pressure! --- ;^) > > > > > > Neil. > > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > http://mail.yahoo.com >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" (Bustorius)

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil