Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:42:13 -0500
From:         Nathan Mc Blain <nmcblain@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch shutter, vibation, shaking - why?
Comments: To: collum@VERIZON.NET

Mike thank you for this info, Seems like from everyones comments there are many things that can make chatter. I just hope that if I do this job I can nail everything on the first try. And thanks to comments like this and everones input I hope too!!

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:43:11 -0500, Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET> wrote: >Other things that can lead to clutch chatter are, worn bushings on the >clutch fork, the clutch fork fingers (where they contact the throwout >bearing) wearing flat spots, one finger of the clutch fork wearing more >than the other thereby putting unequal pressure on the throwout bearing, >and bad motor and/or transmission mounts.

As for worn bushings: The Bently shows how to remove and install the bushings but nothing on checking them. After the trans on the floor did you just grab the release shaft(clutch fork) move up down check for play?

How do you accuratrly check for bad motor/trans mounts? The rubber is not deterotatied but does seem to be soft and the motor can move easily?

> >That said, I got rid of my clutch chatter (shudder upon starting off) by >carefully rounding off the clutch fingers with a file and making sure >they were of the same thickness. As they say, though ... YMMV

I will be sure to check this and file those fingers smooth. Thank you for these exellent tips. Nate 90 MT silver non-GL > >Mike > > >Walter Houle wrote: >> I have lived with this problem for years and have always wondered why. >> I had a factory rebuilt motor and a new clutch installed by a local shop >> and it chattered immediately. It occured in reverse under a light load >> such as backing uphill, or in 1st under heavy load only. The shop replaced >> the clutch disk & pressure plate with new parts twice, but the problem >> persisted. I had so many problems with the first shop that I finally gave >> up in disgust. Later on, a different shop replaced the slave cylinder, but >> there was no improvement. I got fustrated with the whole thing and have >> learned to live with it. If I baby the clutch I can avoid the chattering >> about 80% of the time. >> >> Walter >> 85 Vanagoon 1.9 >>