Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:37:21 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: c.v. joint removal Question
Comments: To: Mike S <mikes@flatsurface.com>

Another thought(s)

Make sure you use the right tool for the bolts. i..e there could be star type heads or Allen heads, or both! It's easy to fit an Allen head into a star head (wrong!) and strip it. Especially if they're real dirty. It's hard to see. And make sure you clean out the head of each bolt so tool seats properly.

If you choose to take apart the CV's and clean/lube, there is an excellent tutorial on th Van-Cafe site. It clearly shows how the cage/balls go together. They can go together two ways. One obviously being wrong.

Cheers,

Neil.

On 11/12/07, Mike S <mikes@flatsurface.com> wrote: > At 05:41 PM 11/12/2007, Jim Morgan wrote... > >I have a 80 ail cooled / manuel trans that the driver side out > >board boot > >is torn. I noticed this when I removed the engine for a rebuild. Can I > >just > >unbolt the inner and outer jounts and remove the shaft / assembly with > >out > >having to remove the the 46mm axle nut and axel shaft? > > Yes, but the outer bolts are hard to reach. It's easiest if you remove > the bottom two (easiest to see/reach), then jack up that side and give > the wheel 1/3 of a turn and repeat until done. > > Make sure you give the driver a good whack to make sure it's fully > seated for each bolt so you don't strip the bolt. If you do, then you > would have to remove the hub. I don't think you can remove the bearing > carrier without removing the hub. >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" (Bustorius)

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil