Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:51:30 -0800
From:         Brian Jarvinen <brianvwagain@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9L intermittent stalling at random

Ok, well there are enough ideas out there that I can't quote each one. Thanks everybody!

Someone mentioned the coil wire, probably before they read my second post about that. I thought I had it solved when I replaced a coil wire that was so bad, it was surprising it ran the van at all. In that process I swapped out the coil. Unfortunately, the batteries in my little Radio Shack test meter were dead and I couldn't test the other coil first. But I'm pretty sure that is not it; everything has stayed the same.

Another idea was random electronic signal cut-outs, possibly affecting the distributor. An important part of the whole system is the Hall Control unit, and I have some experience with that that may help others. One time my van died and I was checking electrical connections all around the motor. I forgot I had left the key on, and when I bumped the wire harness near the Hall unit connection, the van turned over! I could get it to run just like a swiss watch as long as I held that wire in the just exactly perfect place, until I let go of the wire. One of the seven wires going into it had broken inside the 90 degree bend piece. So this became the very first item rescued from the junkyard van I now own. (The junkyard wants to keep the body for storage in the future - perfect). So the new connector was spliced in and I've even had a pro mechanic completely re-do my splice work with excellent connectors and wrap it. I check this connection frequently.

Another key to the Hall Control unit is the heat sink, and I've been through that and keep that nice and clean, and even use Heat Sink Transfer Compound (99 cents at Radio Shack) on it (coat the back of the plastic frame and the back of the aluminum sink). And that causes problems more in the summer when it is hot anyway, and the van just dies when the HCU is unhappy, not cut in and out. But thinking about the whole thing has my obvious solution - swap out with my other Hall unit. Or is there a way to test the Hall unit itself? There are several in Bentley but they don't seem like they would reveal performance problems at full RPM.

I think the idle stabilizers were mentioned. I have run the van fine without these connected after a professional tune-up (they forgot). I doubt the stablizers could cause this problem? But Bentley does mention stalling as a possible result. So another idea to try, disconnecting them.

Can't see a vacuum problem being this random to affect the distributor either. My distributor has never been opened, just regular cap & rotor replacements. The other day I lightly sanded the inside contacts and blew the dust out of the cap. But there is a wire connection to it... hmmm?

And this may have some readers wondering, 'what about the fuel control unit computer'? Yes, I have an extra one of those and already tried swapping it. No change in performance.

The O2 wire was also mentioned. Right now, mine is disconnected. I put in a new one three months ago and have been too lazy to work on the needed wire splice, too much going on around here. This has prolly cost me some money via a bit of a lower gas mileage. But I can't see that not being connected causing such a random problem.

Today I put in a new air filter, it wasn't too terribly dirty, have seen mine worse. But when I tried to start

it for some more testing, it was pretty hard to start when it was cold...so now it is time to do the simple test on the auxiliary air regulator or whatever it's called. (And time to try some archive searches tonight). There is a simple test for how it is working in cold start conditions...but I wonder if it goes bad, might it open at random at warm temperatures, sending too much air into the engine and causing a hiccup?

But I would think that thing is controlled by the air sensors ...

[One of the annoying side affects of this stalling is such a heavy jolt to the engine that the auxiliary air intake line falls out of the intake boot eventually, definitely making it stall just because of that.]

Tonight I tested the temp sensor II in a pot of water on the stove. Perfect readings ... bottomed out at 209 ohms in boiling water exactly as the Bentley chart predicted.

So I'm still wondering about the air sensor box. My Friendly Local Auto Parts Store has a re-build in their supply chain for $290. Bus Depot is at around 150 but I'm three days away on UPS ground. So I'll start a different thread....

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/sports;_ylt=At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G1SQtBI7ntAcJ