Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:34:46 -0800
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: That recent post bashing Tiico..one on Yahoo subaru too.

Benny, you are right. I am in the south (actually west) and I almost never saw any engine so rusty. What I was wondering is if the engine was so rusty how the chassis would look like? Was it a Syncro? Was the overall condition justify a rebuild of the engine? Apparently you had determined that the engine was beyond repair. It had a high mileage already anyway. But if you are in California you can pick up at least one deserted wxber 1.9 engine per week from my local junkyard that has just about no rust whatsoever on them. Most of them are probably rebuildable in my opinion. I could not resist and once yanked a pair of AMC heads off one in junkyard for $70 (something like that) for the pair. There was no crack, no burnt valve, no warping and no damage I could see. Valve guides are slightly worn but within Bentely permission still. I guess I am not used to toss any Vanagon engine yet because I am in the sunny state of California.

Cheers,

David