Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Nov 2007 19:10:41 -0800
Subject:      Re: 15 degree engine? Why that?
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Another reason for the 15 degree and probably the major one... all engines since 1999 have different oil pan and motor mount mountings than the 1975 to 1998 engines. The original 50 degree Diesel parts simple won't fit these engines. Also, when it comes to turbo engines, you start having to mess around with the angle of the turbo - this is easier on the early engines, impossible on the later ones as the hot side of the turbo and the manifold are all one piece. I am not saying that it can't be done, it is just beyond the ability of most home and small time mechanics to fabricate all the necessary parts to do it right. If you are paying someone to make these parts it will be very expensive. Really it is one of those several cases of beer and many long winter nights projects.

David Marshall

http://www.hasenwerk.ca http://www.fastforward.ca

Box 4153, Quesnel BC, Canada V2J 3J2

On Thu, November 8, 2007 15:17, neil N wrote: > Hey Don et al. > > This is long winded. Brace yerselves! > > Honestly I'm still "torn", but here's why I'm leaning toward the 15 > degree install. > > a *little* less money. > > KEP kit (adapter plate/flywheel/pilot bearing) vs. typical price of DV > parts. I have seen listings anywhere from $500-1000 or slightly more > for DV parts. At $500 I've noticed some pieces are missing. The KEP > should come in at $510 plus shipping. Also it should be less money as > I won't need to buy 1.8 head and related parts. > > Less fidding with engine. > > It's my first swap, so want to keep variables, in terms of engine > mechanics, down to a minimum. I know how to swap head/pan etc., (I > sucessfully did the head on my old diesel Rabbit and 62' Chevy 6 cyl.) > but would rather not mess with things. Besides, I have already > completely rebuilt my clutch housing, the clutch is still good, plus I > have a spare clutch and starter for this setup. If I were to put in a > new clutch disk/plate, things would be basically new from face of > tranny to end of crank. Plus I'll be getting a relatively low KM donor > ABA. Around 130K KM's. This sounds like a less dicey arrangement for > my needs. > > Engine support. > > One has to make, or have made, the support for the engine. I am > interested in learning a bit about MIG welding so I "see the sport" in > this aspect and would be happy learning even more aspects of > conversions while doing this project. But, IMHO, making the support > may be one potential deal breaker for most people, hence the 50 degree > approach. > > Everyone has different needs/situation. The 50 degree looks > attractive, but for my first effort, I'd rather not be swapping head > out (I understand the 1.8 head on ABA 2.0 is best for this install), > swapping in all the FI stuff for the 1.8 head and DV parts onto the > ABA. It's more than people realize. i.e. one other detail: IMHO, it's > best to install a windage tray in the oil pan at the 50 degree angle > mount though not absolutely neccesary. There may be other details as > relates to the head swap, but I can't recall right now. > > Some would think I'm nuts (not saying you do) for gambling on trying > to MIG weld a support and for losing a bit of room in the rear. But I > will find it interesting to learn a bit about MIG welding. Maybe even > enough to be able to do some fabbing for other projects. > > As for projetc costs, I will try to keep this project budget under > $2000 as this bus is no "prize". i.e. not worth investing too much > more. Another reason I went this route. As it stands, the donor car > and KEP stuff should come in at $1100-ish. Obviously I"m not counting > the welder in this. Price for having a fabricating shop make support? > Dunno..... > > Anyhow, these are my reasons for now. We'll see what the reality is > once I get my hands in there and wrap my head around all of this. > > Cheers, > > Neil. >