Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:01:25 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel pump relay cutout switch
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

With my wiring suggestion, any time the driver wanted to check if the kill switch worked all he would have to do is flip it off when parking but while the engine was still running.

Also, don't you see that your suggestion uses a switched ground like mine does and thus could fail the same way you worry mine could but even worse? A short to chassis in the wire to the switch would allow the pump relay to trigger on and run the pump whether the ECU wants it to or not, defeating the theft security of the system as well as defeating the role of the ECU in protecting the vehicle from major fuel leaks. An accident that ruptured a fuel line while your method was employed could be spectacular. Not likely to happen but my method avoids this possibility since it does not interfere with the ECU control over the pump.

Since my suggested approach switches ground to a relay coil like yours it likewise needs only a small wire and tiny switch but without the small but real risk yours entails.

Mark