Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:10:32 -0500
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Earl Scheib paint job
Comments: To: Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

I had an Earl Scheibe paint job once. I was 19 years old. It was a 1966 Ford econoline.The year was 1973. rock on!!

Bright yellow-orange OEM paint on a Baltimore Gas and Electric van - very used, but "fixed up". I had nicely stained wood bumpers!! They painted them blue!!!! They said they looked good that way!!! Fortunately Earls paint dosent stick to good to waxed up wood.

Within 1 week, I got the first paint chip from a parking lot door bump. Soon, the enitre side of my van had chips, showing bright yellow-Orange on a nice shiny blue. Well, after about 6 months - 1 year,the paint was trashed. The cost that was advertised by Earl was $29.95 any vehicle.I paid $60. I primer greyed it after 1 year, and the end of my ownership was written on the wall.

Earl Scheibe is ok. The issue is repainting a vehicle. Something with dents, rust holes, ect, will paint up good, but will look bad. Painting over any color but the same color will be disaster. Kinda like an oxymoron. Nice shiny paint with a bad body.

I suggest using a paint brush, and rustoleum. Like that zebra Vanagon, only use some tape on the trim. :>)

Add thinner so your brush marks get a chance to lift out.Dont put it all on in one coat. Do a fender /week. In my experience, I always have wished I had not repainted. Perhaps a brush job will be a success, next time I do it. Maybe POR15 Hardnose paints. www.por15.com .

Put your money into some nice wheels or hubcaps to draw the eye.

Before I painted my 66 Ford Econoline window van, it was basically yellow with primer grey, and other various colors sprayed over bondo repairs.In spades, and all over the body. Somebody (a friend) sprayed "race van" in one area. I sprayed "boss 170" ( 170 cu in) in another. It was a masterpiece, but I didnt know it.Kinda like a Rembrant that somebody found in the trash can, and makes news headlines. Only My Rembrant was destroyed by Earl Scheibe, and I paied him to do it.

Man, whenever me and my friends went some place, we took the "race van". Camping, concerts,anywhere. Somebody always sat on the engine, which was between the two front seats. I bought a sheep skin to drape over the engine(somehow, this fur got filled up with strange seeds of some unknown species :>)). I had an overhead console made from plywood. It contained my cassette deck and LedZepplen 1,2,3 and Deep purple,Uhriah Heap,ect, ect , ect. The cassette deck was way up high where nobody would look to steal it. I set the 1974 Ginnis book of world records for getting pulled over by the cops. I was livin'!!!

It all came to an end, as all things must pass, but that "OEM" paint is still fondly remembered. Only 1 picture exists.

That van was sold to two guys who had plans to drive it to California. I think the cops took a close look at that sheeps skin, and busted them in Nebraska.

Think real hard before you take the plunge. A can of Dupont polishing compound will bring back the OEM shine.Protect that with a coat of wax.