Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:16:41 -0800
From:         Kyle Davis <davis_family_46168@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Digest, SVC, and a question about space heaters.

Hey all,

My responses to the previousdigests first, I suppose:

RE: Earl Scheib paint job.

If it&#8217;s just faded, oxidizedout, then I would highly recommend trying to buff it out with some miracle carpolish compound. The stuff I purchased at the Covered Bridge festivalworked amazingly well on my Westy (with the exception of the Fiberglass top,but oh well.) According to the label, it&#8217;s called Classic TouchRestore-A-Shine. The bottle is small, about 8 fluid ounces. The guyalso sold me 2 bigger bottles of Classic Touch Gold Polymer protectant. This was supposed to be applied after the restore-a-shine stuff, which I didnot do. Something about not enough hours in the day. It&#8217;samazing how much surface area is on a vanagon!

RE: Communist California

Sorry to hear that the place wheresome might argue, the whole VW craze originated is now confiscating people&#8217;sVWs, forcing them to take them to the auto graveyard, etc. It&#8217;s notthat bad here in the Midwest (it depends upon your homeowner&#8217;sassociation) but I reckon it will get that way&#8230; In the meantime, ifthese people wanted to save their stuff from that fate, they should considerhawking them to people in the Midwest, or at least donating them toout-of-state charities where they auction off the cars to people who areactually interested in fixing them up, and doing something with them.

For those of you missing my weekly updates, I&#8217;vereceived the sliding door handle and the one cylinder head from eBay this week,which brings me to my next question.

It is now getting cold in Indiana (25 degrees Fahrenheit lastnight.) My garage is not insulated. I do have an electric spaceheater, but I wonder where the best place to operate the space heater wouldbe. It only ships out heat out the front end, and can put out quite a bitof heat. I have plugged the Westy in to shore power for no apparentreason, if that makes a difference. Even though it is supposedly a 2-cargarage, I would think that only if you owned 2 original beetles, or 2 minicoopers, or 2 crosleys, or 2 geo metros. Needless to say, I have storagecrates out in the garage, which I can&#8217;t get rid of. I have 12inches of clearance in front (enough for me to walk around to the otherside. About 2 feet clearance on either side, and enough clearanceimmediately behind the vehicle to open up the back lift gate all the way(yippee, I was worried about that&#8230;) The only thing about the backis the fact that the floor area isn&#8217;t de-cluttered yet.

Where should I put this space heater? In theWesty? In the front of the garage by the garage door and the front of thevanagon, in the back, if I de-clutter it? On 1 of the sides (sliding doorside or non-sliding door side?) I guess you need to know what kind ofwork I plan on doing with it while it is in this cramped garage. I havegot to put the sliding door handle on this weekend. I would like to getthe engine up and running, but I don&#8217;t believe I have enough parts to doso. I think I&#8217;m going to need another cylinder head, definitelyneed some tubes and hoses, also a cylinder head gasket kit, antifreeze, oil,and a fair amount of luck. I was counting on having an auto-mechanically inclinedfriend of mine to help me out with the engine part of it, but he has been kindof busy.

Is there any reason not to leave the space heater in the Westy? Obviously, I won&#8217;t be leaving it on unsupervised.

Kyle

--------------------------------- Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.