Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:14:53 -0500
From:         mordo <helmut.blong@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What does the oil pressure warning buzzer sound like?
Comments: To: Michael Snow <mwsnow@gmail.com>

Okay, that's good info. I don't think I'm over-full. I remembered the caveats about that. Is it possible that I've not enough oil? It shows above the lower notch, perhaps exactly midway between - that's what I was aiming for. I used a five gallon jug of oil and left a bout a 1/2 quart according to the marks on the side of the jug.

The critical question is, if I didn't have an oil pressure problem before the oil change, should I be very concerned that I have a buzzer now? Also, the buzzer is not conistent. It only came on twice for a few moments each time. It occurs to me that maybe both times were during off-throttle deceleration. I've got 300 miles to drive today and I obviously don't want to do any damage.

Thanks for the comments.

On Nov 17, 2007 9:03 AM, Michael Snow <mwsnow@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use Mobil 1 15W-50 exclusively in my waterboxers. The brand/grade > of oil is almost certainly not the problem. > > The high RPM oil pressure alarm is a continuous tone. You can easily > cause this by overfilling the crankcase. Above the lower mark on the > dipstick is right. As you approach the upper mark, you run a great > risk of having too much oil in the engine. When this happens, the > crankshaft and associated parts can contact the oil, causing > splashing, foaming, and low oil pressure. When I change the oil, I > add oil until the level reaches the lower dipstick mark, then add an > additional 1/2 quart. > > Mike > > > > On Nov 17, 2007 5:15 AM, mordo <helmut.blong@gmail.com> wrote: > > Thanks, Ric. So, is it high pressure or low pressure warning? The sound > I > > have is a continuous tone, not a beeping or pulsing. > > > > It seems to me that if it is in fact the pressure warning buzzer, it has > to > > be related tot the change to the 15/50 Mobil 1. I wish I knew why that > might > > be. > > > > cheers, > > > > > > > > > > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > > From: Richard Golen <rgolen@umassd.edu> > > Date: Nov 17, 2007 7:49 AM > > Subject: Re: What does the oil pressure warning buzzer sound like? > > To: mordo <helmut.blong@gmail.com>, vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > > > > > > Hi, > > > > Sounds like the oil pressure buzzer. It is an annoying "high C" sound > > and starts when the engine hits 2500 rpm. The buzzer is located under > > the dash/instrument panel. > > > > You might want to check the connections to the oil pressure sending > > units - the one that sets off the buzzer (high pressure sender) is > > located near the crank pulley. The two sensors have a common > > connector to the main harness on the left side of the engine. To do a > > quick check on the high pressure sender, you can ground out the > > connector. If the buzzing continues, then there's a fault somewhere > > in the wiring harness. If it stops, then the problem may be with the > > sensor, or worse.... > > > > > > Ric > > > > > > At 06:55 AM 11/17/2007, mordo wrote: > > >Fellows: I need some quick help because I'm leaving on a trip today and > am > > >concerned about a sound alien to me. I posted at the Samba too so I've > > >pasted that below: > > > > > > > > > > Last night, I drove a 8 mile errand trip, stopping once. On my > return > > > > trip, I was baffled by a sound I have never heard. At first I > > > thought it was > > > > interference on my radio as I was passing a group of television > > transmitter > > > > antennae. However it continued after I turned off the radio. > > > > > > > > The sound occurred twice and both times it was a slow crescendo to > about > > > > high C. I can't say what RPM it occurred at for sure but I would > guess > > > > around 2500 RPM. The sound seemed to stop when I let off the > throttle > > but > > > > maybe it didn't stop immediately. The outside temp was about 40F. > > > The engine > > > > was well warm but not highway hot. > > > > > > > > A few days ago, I changed the oil from Castrol GTX 20/50 to Mobil 1 > > 15/50. > > > > I always use a Mann filter. > > > > > > > > There was no flashing light. Is this the sound of the oil pressure > > warning > > > > buzzer? If so, it seems silly. It is too vague to be an alarm if > > > you ask me. > > > > > >Thanks in advance for the help. > > > > > > > > >-- > > >mordo > > >1990 Carat > > > > > > > > > > -- > > mordo > > 1990 Carat > > >

-- mordo 1990 Carat