Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:09:59 -0800
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What does the oil pressure warning buzzer sound like?

> SO does the light always come on when the buzzer sounds? No lights come on > when this sound occurs.

As I found mith my Vanagon, the light only comes on if the LED is functional! The DPO proudly pointed out that he never got a low oil pressure light, but I found out when I changed to an instrument cluster with a tach (and a working oil LED) that that was NOT because he had good oil pressure!

Also, I have found that it's surprisingly easy to accidentally knock the high pressure sensor wire loose while changing the oil filter. Makes for a heart pounding surprise the first time you go over 2500RPM and that buzzer goes off.

Jus as an alternate theory, some on the Samba have suggested it's not the > buzzer but instead a cold speedo cable.

Possible. The easy way to check if it's RPM related (oil sensor) or wheel speed related (speedo cable) is to get up to the speed where you hear the noise and press in the clutch, letting the engine drop to idle RPM while you coast.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"