Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:44:36 -0600
From:         Leslie Schwartz <lhs_emf@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Turning Circles in your mind. ;)
Comments: To: dkspence@TELUS.NET

The GT6 of course was the up-rated 6 cylinder version of the Spitfire. I have a 78 which in my view is a somewhat better looking version of the Spitfires from the variations.

It's a fun car to drive; it has a swing axle so its likely to over-steer in some conditions like an old Beetle, or Porsche 550 Spyder. But its predictable and controllable in that.

My Spitfire was not slow; but then I am not used to driving high end sports cars. Its in the garage at home, has a nice set of Webers, but no linkage, a broken rear axle flex joint. The last thing I did on it was to replace a rusted thru freeze plug on the head in-between it and the firewall not an easy thing to do for me anyway.

There are Spitfire parts vendors out there still, but for me its another hopeless case car project, one of several of mine. My Vanagons are near hopeless cases, in my view.

BTW from the wikipedia;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miata

Overview

The MX-5, as envisioned by its designers, is a small roadster with minimal necessary weight and mechanical complexity - technologically modern, but a direct descendant of the small British roadsters of the 1960s such as the Triumph Spitfire, Austin-Healey Sprite, MG Midget and Lotus Elan.

As a result, the MX-5 was designed with a traditional front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout and four-wheel independent double wishbone suspension. It has a longitudinally-mounted four cylinder engine coupled to a manual transmission; an automatic transmission is a cost option.