Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:48:21 -0500
From:         Ben <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: My painful Subi post.... Correct tires for Subaru conversion
Comments: To: "Chris S." <mrpolak@yahoo.com>

Funny but in a way, good question! before, i use to ride my other westy's around 65-67 mph, no more, and that for a few reasons: -I didn't like to rev the engine over 4K, didn't like the sound of it. -Bad fuel consumption over 65-70 -Bad handling in strong wind over 70mph (i had good tire, well, Yokohama on my 87 and Continental on my 79, and shitty tire on my trusted 73)

So now i have strong 15in wheel and 205 wider Continental Vanco (VERY different design than the 14in version!). http://www.benplace.com/85rouge/body105.jpg http://www.benplace.com/85rouge/body96.jpg http://www.benplace.com/85rouge/body98.jpg The 85 is the highest (ground clearance of all 2WD), and mine is higher. I kept it this way for Mexico and for general off road driving. But my van is a solid one (solid and straight suspension - steering componants), unlike some westy that i test drive each days.

That sayd, my new cruise speed is 73 mph, yea, that may sound funny but this is where i like it and set the Audiovox Cruise (very happy with this one) most of the time, at those speed, my fuel consumption is about 21. The engine reved nicely at about 3700rpm (higher fourth gear) and the van handle beautiful at that speed with also a moderate wind. But wind will always be the Vanagon camper enemy, any engine and almost any tires. This is why you need to use that extra power intelligently.

I have tried much higher speed and my van still handle perfectly if no wind. Lately, when i went to Nova Scotia, i was able to do an amazing 23mpg driving smooth at 65mph or so.

This morning, after about 9000 with my restored van/Vanco tire, i have do rotate them, the rear tire lost about 10%-15% over the front one. But , my van spent 30% of this millage pulling engines/parts in the back with a 400 pound trailer... so i think it's pretty normal.

Voila. Ben