Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Nov 2007 21:44:46 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: keys and locks
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>
Comments: cc: Matthew Snook <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM>

Allan and Matthew,

A licensed locksmith can "Code" cut a new key rather than make a copy of a worn key. Of course, so can a VW dealer but usually for a much higher price.

If you pull a front door handle (open the door, pull back the rubber door gasket just aft of the handle, remove the Phillips head screw, and slide the handle forward to remove) you can read the code number that's stamped on one of the two tines that operate the mechanism.

My '84 7 passenger had a separate key for the sliding door (handle was replaced before I got it) and I wanted one key for all doors and the ignition. I got in touch with Steve Sandlin and he made up a cylinder for the slider to match my key code and swapped with me for my odd cylinder. I had a "New" key cut at the same time.

I don't know if Steve is available at this time but his web address is:

http://www.steveslockshop.com/

The site says it's under construction but gives his email address and phone number.

Mike Houlton, Maine

Allan Streib wrote: > Can I get original VW keys based on my VIN number, at the dealer (or > direct from VW?) > > Also can replacement door lock cylinders be ordered keyed to the > vehicle? I cannot operate the lock on the side (sliding) door on my > van using the key it came with (a duplicate, and unfortunately the > only key I have). My first thought is that the duplicate is worn or > poorly cut, and just not good enough to operate the lock. The other > possibility is that the side door lock has been replaced at some > point. The key I have does work in all the other locks (ignition, > both front doors, and rear hatch). > > Allan > -- > 1991 GL >