Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Nov 2007 18:09:47 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: '84 value?
Comments: To: gfs@SCATTERCREEK.COM

Since you just say '84, it must not be a camper of any kind. Or even a GL. You can ask anything you like, based on what you have in it, miles on it, how well it looks and works and so forth. Go to thesamba and see what people are asking. Region matters, like where in the country too. I personally don't consider 84's to be worth that much. Seems they sold an awful lot of them - there are many around, and many for sale. I recently bought a running one ....i was told it was an 86, which a whole few steps better than an 84.....and I asked the guy if he'd take 300 bucks, and he said fine. I glanced at it .....yep - looked like a dark gray 86 GL. The right head lights, the right trim, ratty but not all that bad, and running. I've never ever bought a car in my life without driving it, or listening to it run etc......this time I just told the guy where to park it and handed him the 300. Then I looked at it, and saw that it was really an 84 with 86 trim and headlights. I got 50 bucks back. It's not a bad 84 either. Several hours work ( or 15 or more, depending ) and it'll be pretty good, like all working and reliable. I had to supply a seat, and a rear floor and rug, and probably fix 25 little things, and I'll put 84 headlights and grill on it. .. I would value it at perhaps 1,200 to 1,500 after that. As a 'good working 84' with no particular big issues. Ask 1,800 if you think that's fair. It all depends. Ask 2,500 if you want. The next year, 85 is considerably better, and 86 to 91's much better yet. Scott www.turbovans.com