Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:38:02 -0400
From:         David Etter <detter@MAIL.AURACOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Who waves at whom ? ?

Here Here Mike:

You hit it squarely on the head. This question has been asked several times in the past and much debate and opinions thrown around on who should wave to whom. Now, before we get into shouting matches, It would be hard to top a diesel powered Syncro High-top Dehler replete with solar panels and tricked out wheels and furnace and all the goodies, however I am talking about 'Original' OEM models. As I see it there is definitely a hierarchy to all this. Simplifying the discussion to the three main styles; top of the heap would be the Split window Camper. This however would not be my own personal choice as it is too small inside. This is followed by (take your pick) Vanagon based Westys and Bay Window Westys. Within each style there are sub categories that may elevate one van over another...e.g. those with safari windows, the SO42, the 6 volt or 12 volt discussion, barn door vans, diesel vs. air cooled, etc. but that internecine struggle is best left for them to fight it out and visually not always apparent when meeting on the highway. You were within your rights in not bothering to wave to the evil EV style. When VW abandoned 'pusher' engines they bowed to the more common tastes ; this is to say nothing about the VW switch to Winnebago interiors. However, if they wave to us first and we are feeling benevolent we can wave back.. BUT not with too much enthusiasm ..a mere acknowledgment is all that is required here. Anymore and they might begin to think of themselves as brothers .. not a good precedent to start... However at a campsite and if they are providing free beer, then be friendly but never raise the question of the brotherhood membership.. shhhh! The etiquette rules are as follows... we all wave to the Splitties and they should wave back, assuming that is their nose is lowered enough to see us. However, they might be too busy with listening for parts failing or falling off, so cut them some slack. Vanagons and Bays wave to one another without worrying who goes first but vanagonauts suffer from a certain smugness knowing that the Bayonets ;-) are really only driving their rigs until they can move into vanagons or if not, should be. Having said all that, I admit I am not always looking at oncoming traffic, especially on the Interstate Highways where we are not on the same road. Only at the last minute do I see a wave as they zoom past, I do however, wind down my window and wave to their mirror, hoping they realise it was only an oversight and not intentional. Aside from waving to all Splitty vans, I am sure every Westy owner questions the rational of waving to other non-Westy equipped VW vans.. I'm just not sure I want to commit to that kind of a relationship where they aren't willing to 'go all the way'.. ;-) Mike you have very nicely encapsulated the reason to wave with... "A large portion of the pleasure that helps displace the pain and expense of Westy ownership is the common bond we share."

or as my SO says.. "The Brotherhood of Pain" I hope this has helped to clarify the who waves to whom question. Good Luck and I will certainly wave to you my friend.

Regards! David Etter in my personal choice.. 82TDWesty..

P.S.: Hurry up and get your van 'named' and printed on the outside, it shows your involvement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mike of "ally.oops" <todos_cajones@yahoo.com> wrote... >You may think this is trivial, but then you haven't been a passenger >in my bus on those occasions that prompt the question: "Who waves at >whom"? > >I drive a bay Westy. I've had all waves returned by other bays and split >windows, sometimes/often by air cooled vanagons and seldom/never by >newer vanagons.(I don't wave at Eurovans) I must confess, I feel a >wave not returned is an encounter lost somewhere in that void between >real and imagined. To say it irritates me is a gross understatement. > >A large portion of the pleasure that helps displace the pain and >expense of Westy ownership is the common bond we share. We do share, >don't we? So there must be a protocol not found in the owners manual >(original, I might add)and I'm asking here for relief. Anger and Westy >shouldn't go together. > >Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide. > >Mike in Port Townsend >'79 Westy (to be named) >BTW My Westy is Sage Green. It's been suggested I name her "Sub Lime"