Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:33:29 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: What do I need?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

One of the problems with "Others" doing your oil changes is that they tend to overtighten the drain plug as they don't want the liability of it getting loose and coming out somewhere down the road. Much like the reason tire shops put your wheels on at about 200 lbs of torque instead of 123.

Mike

Dennis Haynes wrote: > There are two oversized plugs available that would be a much better choice. > Also, a soft fiber or nylon gasket makes a seal at much lower torque than > the copper. > > Dennis > > >> From: Brian Jarvinen <brianvwagain@YAHOO.COM> >> Reply-To: Brian Jarvinen <brianvwagain@YAHOO.COM> >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: What do I need? >> Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:00:49 -0800 >> >> --- JordanVw@AOL.COM wrote: >> >> > drain plug. (ps, the drain plug >> > is screwed into the bottom of the engine case..if >> > you strip the threads, >> > youve got bit problems these is no such thing as >> > "replacing the oil pan"). >> >> actually it can turn out to be not too terrible. >> I stripped mine on the 30th or so oil change >> (247K miles when the odometer broke) >> I was doing; I had the wrench on the plug, >> forgot what I was doing momentarily and >> pushed the wrench the wrong way. Unfortunately, >> the plug moved! I knew immediately the >> threads would probably be stripped. >> And I think this is not too hard to do with >> an aluminum alloy pan? >> >> It was a dismal few hours of thinking >> about this situation. I went to my friendly >> local oil change place and they hooked >> me up with a new plug-in-plug. It is a >> little bigger than the original; you screw >> it into the pan and it cuts new threads >> on the way in. Inside the plug is another >> bolt that you use to drain the oil. It >> takes a little longer but it works fine. >> >> I had another scare when a mechanic >> who was rebuilding some shift arm / >> linkage parts for me went ahead and >> changed the oil too. (Oil only had >> 1000 miles on it and I didn't ask him >> to do this). Anyhow I think he tightened >> that little bolt down with an air wrench >> or something because there was no way >> I could turn it. (And there is not a lot of >> space in this area with this new dual >> plug). I finally went back to the shop >> that sold me the plug-in-plug and >> asked for their help. They tried >> for a while and finally said the only >> solution is to take out the big plug. >> I was worried I wouldn't be able >> to thread it into the pan again, and >> it does now have a very slight >> leak right there. >> >> So far, somewhat good. I've changed >> the oil a couple times since then. >> I hope the plug holds together. >> Otherwise, it's finally time to put >> in that other engine I have. >> >> So, be careful putting a wrench >> on that drain plug. The 'pan' is >> not as strong as you might think. >> >> >> >> ____________________________________________________________________________________ >> >> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. >> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs >