Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:39:06 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Calculate fuel consumption when idling?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dennis, Well !!! I am VERY excited to hear anti-idling technology on a vehicle ! Tell me more ! Is yours gas or diesel ? That's roughly the logic I was thinking of too - a way to detect unneeded idling, with automatic shut off. There's these redneck type diesel pick-up truck and dump truck type people right near me, about 300 feet away ....they just LOVE to fire up a big diesel dump truck at 7 am and let it idle for an hour, or fire up a giant Ford diesel pick-up and let it idle for 40 minutes while they just stand around talking. If you know any California laws about this, I'd sure like to know. I cringe when I hear about vanagon people 'warming it up', or letting it idle until the heater starts working ............just rough on everything, the engine, the environment, etc Thanx, scott

Scott, Thank you for saving me some typing here with your response. It is tough to get any lower efficiency to charging a battery than using the main engine. The so called charging controller with its 16 amp output will also be in the way during the bulk charge cycle. To get full out put out of the alternator, the RPM will need to rise to 1,600 rpm. Then you also have the destructive process.

Let's start wit the transmission. All of those clutches just slipping away and going nowhere. Lots of heat from the oil pump and the valve body being under constant pressure testing that relief valve. Oh yes, this is good. FWIW manually trannies do not like extended idling neither.

No for the engine. The 1.9 cooling system suffers at idle. Not much flow and then comes the cycling of the fan. Oops! There go some 20 amps or so. The front cylinders do not get good coolant flow. Coolant flows only at the rear. Probably the main reason for the 2.1 cooling system redesign. Coolant goes into the engine at the rear and flows out the front. Yes, flow through.

And for fuel consumption, imagine the cold start and then extended warm up due to the engine not being loaded. Probably will be close to 3/4 gallon for the first 1/2 hour.

From experience, a warm engine will use ~3/4 gallon/hour for idle, low speed. This from building engines and running them on the floor. Yes back in the carb days.

A 5,500 watt generator will also use ~ a gallon/hour.

Anyway, Mike, you are putting way to much emphasis on getting the battery to 100% charge and not going below 50%. You do need to consider the battery as a consumable and a cycle from 80% to 100% is still a cycle that imparts some wear and does not need to be done daily.

Didn't you already get the Honda generator? Why not use it? Also, is CA also instituting anti idling laws? My 2004 motor home that I bought in CA will turn the engine off once the coolant is over 120F and the vehicle does not actually roll, or see a throttle or brake pedal change in 5 minutes. Yes, it needs to see change. It did once shut down on me in a traffic jam.

Dennis

Well, finally the whole story comes out. Shame to run a whole giant car engine just to charge a battery, especially for up to two hours. I hope that's not in a campground with neighboring campers, even if it is a quietly running stock waterboxer. And *now* that we know what's really going on, perhaps you need to consider rpm while charging. Does it charge significantly better at 1,500 rpm than at 800 rpm idle ? Is it more efficient to charge at a higher rpm for a shorter period ? etc. How about this - you make your 'standard run' include exactly the same period of idle charging each trip ? then you're fuel mileage calculations will include 'trip there and back plus X hours idling." Methinks a very quiet small Honda generator is really the right device and method for your purposes. Though it is another device to lug along, take up space and weight, and they're not cheap, so it's understandable you'd want to not have one of those if you could help it. I got it ! .....stationary bicycle driving a generator ! Then you pedal each day 45 minutes - no pollution, no noise, no burning fossil fuel inefficiently, plus you get exercise. And how many calories per hour does a vanagonite burn charging a battery at 5 amps per hour burn ????