Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Nov 2007 18:10:52 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: '82 Diesel features and price
Comments: To: Edward Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>

Rear heater never came in 82 diesel vanagons or any US model 82 or 83 diesel vanagon that I've ever seen. Some have the plastic floor duct to send heat to the rear some do not. There are also overheat air outlets that route air threw the front doors into the pillar at the aft edge of the front doors, then up and to the rear. I doubt much heat would ever get that far though, and am not certain they even can supply heated air. A diesel vanagon can be a fairly cool running vehicle in a cold climate. I've found that putting in a 195 F thermostat and insulating the heater hose all the way to the front helps. Also make sure the heater valve is getting full 'on.' The heater control valve control cable is a little weak. Not hard to deal with at all, but no one ever lubes the cable........eventually it gets kinked, then heater valve control is compromised, but it's easy to fix. I usually just straighten and lube and get it working nicely. Drive it first. Drive it at speed, and on hills. $ 2,500 for a well working fully sorted out and properly serviced diesel vanagon is a fine price. Rare is the 25 year old vanagon without about 30 issues on it in my world. Also, be warned that cheap cars are owned by cheap people, and mostly it's likely that it was just driven until one system broke, then that system was fixed, but the rest were just kept in operation. Like that DV that just needs an injection pump. Chances are about 70 % that that's just what the owner is aware that it needs. But I really hope this one you might get has been cared for and is a great deal. $ 2,500 is a fine price if it's at all a good vehicle. You know................. coolant every changed ? How old is the timing belt ? What are the brakes like ? How good is the front end ? Has the transmission oil every been changed ? I can tell you right now it's unlikely the shift linage has been lubed. What are the CV joints like ? How old are the clutch hydraulics ? Shocks? Tires ? electrical items, etc. It should have LT light truck tires, or C type reinforced tires on it, not 'P' something car tires. What are the valve clearances, engine compression, and injection timing like ? Anyway ! ...hope you can score a fine diesel vanagon that works well for you ! Scott www.turbovans.com