Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:30:55 -0500
From:         robert feller <syncro.carboncow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wifes Audi - Oil Leak - NVC
Comments: To: Joel Cort <joel_cort@yahoo.com>

My wife got the 1.8T Quattro used and it had been a great car. Everything I researched prior to that purchase said run from the 2.8L V6 for many reasons. A friend has one and complains quite a bit but he knows nothing about cars. I took one look at the fit in that engine bay and said "no way" was I going to get involved!

5 cyl was dependable and the quattro systems go a long time before breaking but stay away from that V6! I didn't think it was the VR6 engine used in the VW though as you stated, are you sure of that?

Shawn

On Nov 26, 2007 10:05 PM, Joel Cort <joel_cort@yahoo.com> wrote: > Don't get me started with this piece of German shiest !!!!!!!!!!!!! > > We purchased the car at 90K miles with a new waterpump, timing belt, and other normal 100K maintenance. From a reputed German Audi dealer here in Roachester. > > It is a 2001 A6 with the 2.8 V6 engine. Now with 105K miles. > > I have now spent over $3000 american buckos replacing every frigging seal on the engine of my (ex) wife's Audi. I know I know, I feel obligated cause I convinced her to buy this "great" car..... > > It turns out that there is a breather hose that goes from one head to the other that notoriously gets clogged. It is a known recall part. The reputed dealer missed changing that hose during the 100K maintenance. Gee! now why would they miss such a minor part? It is a $80 hose sort of rectangular and groved that snakes from the left side front to the right side rear. Guess what? when it gets clogged the oil pressure relieves itself through the other seals. > > All of the valve covers, cam shaft and front pully seals had to be replaced. > > Seals were not too expensive but the labor to do it was a killer. I did not venture on this project since it required special tools for the camshaft and timing belt. So I paid through the nose. Oh and since half the engine is wide open, might as well replace the timing belt (again) and the water pump and the idler pullies and the .... and the .... > > It was pissin' oil all over the muffler to where we could not stand it anymore. It was also leakin' out the front main shaft right on the (new) timing belt.......... > > What a piece of krap. This is the same engine in the Passat and other VW vans/cars. > > We hate this frigging lemon. Give me a good old Vanagon with known syndromes anyday. > > So after having layed under VWs, MBs, BMWs and now Odee, it is safe to say that the German engineers that flunked out of the MB and BMW factory ended the weekend Octoberfest drunk at the Audi factory. > > Disgusted! > > Joel in Rochester > > 89 Syncro Westy not leaking - Summer > 87 Syncro Transporter - getting fixed - Winter > 01 Audi A6 - no longer leaking - Hers > 95 Legacy sedan - Kid 1 > 96 Legacy Wagon - Kid 2 > > ----- Original Message ---- > From: BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 8:34:00 AM > Subject: Re: Wifes Audi - Oil Leak - NVC > > As requested, here is another shot. It's a 1998 A4 with the V6. > > http://mywebhopserver.feddishbasses.com:81/vw/audi.html > > Thanks, > Bryan > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________ > Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. > Make Yahoo! your homepage. > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs >