Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:10:10 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Windshield wipers ETC. questions.
Comments: To: Chad Lyles <chad.lyles@gmail.com>

Re: #1 It could be that the arm is not positioned correctly, there's play in the relay rods or wiper shafts, or there's play between wiper arm and shaft where they connect.

Try re positioning the wiper arm. Remove the cap, the 10 mm nut/washer, then carefully remove arm from shaft. The grooves on the shaft get worn so be nice to them. Bentley specifies 70mm or 2.75" from top of wiper arms to bottom of windshield seal, both arms parallel to the seal.

If play in wiper relay rods or shafts, I think you can remove and replace them *without* removing dash.

On my Vanagon, the wear was in the shafts. These parts are press fit into frames that bolt to sheet metal of van behind dash. Once parts are on the bench, it's not hard to R&R the new parts.

I had my dash off. I replaced the wiper parts. IIRC the parts aren't too expensive.

Re:#2

The switch on the dash could do anything. Try physically tracing wires. The switch could be for the heater fan, a fan in the fridge (if you have one!) or ?? Check to see if there is power present at the switch.

As a side note, if I ever sell my Westy, I'll have to come up with some kind of "owners manual" for all the stuff I've done and will do!

Cheers,

Neil.

On 11/27/07, Chad Lyles <chad.lyles@gmail.com> wrote: > > Hi all, > > As a noob, i have been learning and finding more things about my Vanagon > on > a daily basis... most of which is over my head but informative > none-the-less. > Anyway, since i have had my vanny (3 months now) i have had to change the > ignition switch the AFM and the alternator and battery cables. (i got her > for 600$ i'd say not too bad of a deal) > all relatively simple fixes (thanks to the listee's that helped me > diagnose > the problems) > > A quick update on Hoppy, after all the minor fixes she is running good, > but > i do seem to be getting horrible gas mileage. she runs GREAT other wise.. > i > have put a lot of hard miles on her already to and from the Oregon coast, > to > and from mt hood... hi-way miles galore! > over all totally happy with her. > > NOW for the goofy questions. > 84GL AUTO. > > 1. wind shield wipers.... my wipers don't seem to cover enough glass on > the > drivers side? i am left with a HORRID blurry blind spot when it rains in > the > drivers side top and side corner of my wind shield... my question is ... > have they been installed incorrectly or is this a normal stock flaw? > > 2. i have an illusive (plastic) toggle switch on my dash that seemingly > doesn't do any thing... its just to the right of my steering column... it > appears to be after market... (because i cant find it in the book) there > is > no evidence that there were ever fog lights or any kind of anti-theft > device > (alarm etc) i cant tell where the wires go to...any ideas? > > 3. new AFM works great...(well better than the old broken one) but i > occasionally have a weird idle that is a > RRRrrrRRRrrrrRRRRrrrRRRrrr....then > warms up and every thing is as normal. what's that all about? is it > related > to the new (refurbished) AFM? because it didn't do it with the broken AFM. > *after thought* actually come to think of it ... it hasn't happened since > i > changed the alternator??? coincidence? > > ok sorry this was kinda long but i think i covered it all. > > thanks in advance > Chad~ > 84GL (auto) >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" (Bustorius) http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

Engine swap beginings: http://musomuso.googlepages.com/home