Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:01:11 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: '84 value?
Comments: To: kayakjr@comcast.net

Ok, here's what is better about an 85 than an 84 or earlier. The first one is the sliding door. It's about 4 times easier to open, and the outside handle doesn't break off. That's the 'main advantage.' Next is the parking brake, 84 and earlier parking brakes barely will hold, the 85 and later parking brake handle is improved 3 ways, and totally get the job done - like it's bomber, and they can easily be fitted to 84's and earlier. Next is plastic main coolant pipes, Most 85's have these, but early ones still use the metal pipes. The plastic pipes aren't perfect, they do have their problems too, so not a super advantage here. Next is the front suspension- cast lower arms. The stamped earlier lower arms don't fail or anything, and it is nice to see they put on such a robust part.

In 86 they upgraded the fuse box. Those old style ( must date from the 40's in german cars) ceramic fuses often corrode on the ends and don't make contact, Very easily so. The later style......what I call a 'tooth fuse' since that's what they look like, *always* make contact. Also, at the back of the fuse box it's not a bundle of wires stuck onto spade terminals where they can pull off, or suffer from the general weakness of spade type connections. It's all plug on large wire connectors. Next .....the front brakes are different - I don't know if they actually work better though. someone offer an opinion if they have one. Headlights - the work better for the amount of light on the road, but those are expensive lenses if you need one ! Ouch. The 2.1 engine ........sure those are 'better' in some ways. I suppose they make 'a little more' power than a 1.9. One thing I do like about 1.9's is they just don't seem to blow up much at all, they get shitty, and run lousy, and have the typical head gasket issues, but they sure run a long, long time. I suppose you could say the Dynamic Oil Pressure circuit on 2.1 is 'better.' More problematic is more like it though - lol !

That's all I can think of right now. Except for the fuse box, there are a lot of reasons an 85 is 'a darn good year' I does not have things, like the Electronically controlled air idle valve that an 86 and up does, for example, and when you have a problem with that system .....can be expensive. Kiinda like the 71 VW Bus. First year of front disc brakes, first year of 'normal' 15 inch wheels, and last year of the 1600 before they went to the Type IV engine, which is kind of a nightmare compared to the ole 1600. Makes it a unique year with distinct advantage. And 85 with some upgrades ....yup, would be just about right for a good but semi-modest vanagon. I like them. And of course .....in the later years you can get central locking, which I really like. Cruise control, not sure when that's first available, but CC isn't important to me. Power windows, I don't prefer those, not sure when that starts. Fiberglass bumpers - I like those, but they're expensive if you need one, the side cladding just looks heavy and ugly to me and is easy to break around the jacking points , so I'm 'iffy' about those, but they look good and might help aerodynamics 1 %. That's all I can think of right now. Scott www.turbovans.com

-----Original Message----- From: kayakjr@comcast.net [mailto:kayakjr@comcast.net] Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:01 AM To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Cc: scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM Subject: Re: '84 value?

" The next year, 85 is considerably better, and 86 to 91's much better yet. "

Can Scott or someone else explain how an 85 is considerably better than an 84, and why an 86, besides having a 2.1, is even better. I'm curious.

It seems to me that if you are going to do an engine conversion, then perhaps picking up one of these 84's is the way to go - no?

John 87 VW WWW or VW W^3 or is that V(W)^4 ? (Wolfsburg Wesfalia Weekender)