Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:08:28 -0500
From:         David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '82 Diesel features and price
Comments: To: d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM

Dittos on the diesel-BTDT. I had an 82 diesel and had a bumper sticker on the back that said "0-50 in 11 minutes". That was a bit of an exaggeration since it really only took about 9.5 minutes! I rebuilding the engine and installing a turbo with an intercooler. That was like buying your grandmother track shoes and expecting her to run a 4 minute mile. The way to go with this vehicle is the 1.9 turbocharged diesel engine if you must have the diesel. Keep in mind that the price of diesel lately has been more expensive than premium unleaded. I sold mine to an idealistic young hippie (like I used to be) that wanted to convert it over to bio-diesel. It's still sitting waiting for this to happen when I last checked.

David Clarkson 90 Westy (with some get-up-and-go compared to the diesel) -----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:28 pm Subject: Re: '82 Diesel features and price

Unless you really need the economy or are looking for an upgrade project, run for your life. In stock form the Vanagon Diesel is not a good highway runner and you will be extremely frustrated on those Connecticut highways. 65 down hill on a good day will be it. No, they did not come with rear heaters. Some had ducts from the front on the floor. They even had labels in the engine compartment warning "not suitable for air conditioning". 48 HP just won't cut it. The original injection pump was Vanagon specific. In order for this to be drivable on today's highways you need a 1.9 and tranny upgrade. This is defiantly the case of the purchase price being a very small down payment of what is to come.

Dennis Yes-biased!