Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:50:54 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Window Issue when Cold
Comments: To: Ben Cichowski <cichowski@MONTANA.EDU>

Funny about your horn experience. I've had vw's since the early 70's and never have seen 'hot weather spontaneous horn blowing.' On the windows.... Things need lubing and servicing. I spray window tracks with silicone spray, lots of it. I try to get wd-40 or synthetic spray lube into all the mechanisms. I truly believe you could submerge the door ( after removing the door panel ) in wd-40 and it would be very, very good for it. For cold weather I spray all the door seals with silicone too. - then they don't freeze to the door frame. I got some at an RV place which was expensive, but they claim it's extra good. Also, marine grade silicone spray too - good stuff. A huge portion of all the fixing I do is just treating, cleaning, adjusting. Like up to 50 - 70 % , very little parts replacing actually. And actually, 'new parts' are not always automatically better than good careful workmanship, or the original german parts still in there. I must have a hundred kinds of 'spooge'.

Typical case : 90 SVX syncro westy - dead passenger's power window. Thousands of dollars invested already in that van, so not wanting another several hundred dollar repair just then. Simple disassembly, and getting the motor unstuck, and treating it with wd-40 ...........worked just fine after that. I doubt it'll work another 3 years or whatever, but for the cost/benefit ratio at the time, just getting it working again was the right thing to do. Lubing all the tracks and mechanisms helped a lot too on that particular power window situation. The load on the motor builds up over time because no one ever lubes window tracks and mechanisms, near as I can tell anyway, based on the vanagons I see and work on. So don't let 'lack of money for a new part' keep you from fixing something. Inspection, lubrication, adjusting, etc. can go a long way quite often. And ! funniest thing - lubricating and serving most parts and mechanisms keeps them from wearing out in the first place !! Scott