Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:42:56 -0800
From:         Lee Peterson <iridewheelies@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How do you carry your cargo?
Comments: To: -------- <VW4X4@verizon.net>

I like that idea. I have considered putting some "D" rings in the floor under the carpet with flaps cut out to access them.

I've had many unsecured loads crash into my table and backseat kickpanel.

Lee On 11/30/07, -------- <VW4X4@verizon.net> wrote: > > Cargo slamming into the interior walls has always been a problem for me, > because I don't like to slow down for curves....Slowing down for curves > waste > gas, at the expense of beating up the interior. My solution has been > to carry several large boxes. Most of the time the boxes will hold > thing enough > so that the entire box slides but will not do damage. Another issue is > large > things like engines, transmissions or things of this size. I end up > using rope to tie large > item to the seat belt mounts or the mounts for the rear seat. This > are a big > pain, and is time consuming. Maybe someone can come up with some mooring > rings for cargo, that can be permanently mounted to make flying object > stay put. > > > craig cowan wrote: > > >A very classy way to stash a nalgene is with a caribeener. You can use > one > >of those cheep quick links, but a good climbing grade caribeener should > come > >with every nalgene bottle. Then, you do one of two things. If you have an > >automatic Transmission, just clip it to the big shift selector shaft and > >your good to go. You can fit quite a few nalgenes on these usually, and > i've > >done this in many different vehicles (its the primary drinking method > used > >in our '85 Volvo 240 wagon!). If you've got a manual which it seems you > do > >as its a syncro, i do not recommend this. In that case, you can go to the > >home depot and get creative with I bolts or similar devices, i've even > >messed around with those very strong 3M wall hooks for this purpose. > Attach > >them either in front of the shifter, or on the sides of the bases of the > >seats, and thats where the nalgene goes. > > > >I had a little DC refrigerator lying around that holds a few cans of soda > >and has a built in pair of cup holders that resides between my two front > >seats. It is secured with bungee chords front and back which are hooked > into > >the seat bases/rails. Nalgene bottles can then be attached to these > chords. > > > >Everyone knows a keg of beer is your primary passenger. That baby goes up > >front with you, seatbelt on. They need a good view of the road to mature > and > >age properly. > > > >I'm also a big fan of those little "Gear Hammocks" that are sold for > >sailboats. I'm going to be installing one in the bus soon, but from my > >experience with sailboats they prove extremely useful. > > > >-Craig > >'85gl > > > > > > > > > >>I was thinking about how I secure my cargo this morning. Because our > vans > >>have such large flat areas, unsecured items tend to roll around while > >>driving. I wonder how everyone else deals with it? I have no problem > >>packing for a trip, everything has it's place when I go camping. It's > >>those > >>daily errands I'm talking about. > >> > >>Small items that don't roll can go between my front seats > >> > >>If I have something smaller than a shoe box but with a shape that will > >>roll > >>I like to wedge it in my jumpseat with the seat folded up. > >> > >>If I have something larger than that but smaller than a 5 gal bucket > I'll > >>put it on the jumpseat and secure it with the seatbelt. > >> > >>I like to stash items between the front seats and jumpseats but they > >>usually > >>dont stay there very well. I don't have the trays. > >> > >>For something the size of a Keg of beer (or a keg of beer!) I'll remove > >>the > >>jumpseat and secure the item with the seatbelt. > >> > >>Large loads of groceries usually go behind the rear seat, loaded via the > >>rear hatch. > >> > >>Very large items go in the passenger area. I have used ratchet straps > to > >>secure them to the jumpseat brackets. > >> > >>If I am alone and lazy I will use the passenger seat and passenger side > >>floor. Items tend to slide off the passenger seat onto the floor so I > try > >>not to use it. > >> > >> > >> > >>Sometimes I think it would be usefull to have a bungee net attached to > the > >>rear of the back seat to secure smaller items. The area behind the rear > >>seat it large and flat so I find that unsecured items tend to roll or > >>slide > >>around. Maybe a bungee net attached to the bulkhead below the passenger > >>seat would be usefull as well. My girlfriend has a habit of losing > track > >>of > >>her nalgene water bottle. I usually find it rolling around by my feet > >>after > >>a corner. It drives me crazy! I have visions of it jamming under my > >>brake > >>pedal (break petal), causing an accident. > >> > >> > >>For the record I have a Syncro GL with a Carat/Wolfy interior > transplanted > >>in to it. > >> > >>How about you guys? Where do you carry your stuff? > >> > >> > >> > > > > > > >