Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:47:40 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Changed thermostat - temp gauge still reads stone cold
Comments: To: covrambles@YAHOO.COM

This is where some trouble shooting skills and equipment comes inot play. If you are getting good heat, than most likely the enigne is getting up to temparatire and you may have a gauge problem. The gauget itself, the voltage regulator for the gauge, the sensor, and the wiring to the guage and sensor are all possiblities for gauge failure or bad readings. The gauge itself can fail and it is also adjustable. On the 2wd drive vans, a bad ground connection can also give a bad guage reading. Of the 2 wires going to the sensor, one is the rturn for the guage and the other is ground. Do some evaluation, get an infrared thermometer and figure what is really wrong. Also, where di you get the thermostat? Many books list Audi t-stats as being the correct one. The lower disc is too large and it get stuck in the bottom of the Vanagon housing jamming it open.

Dennis