Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:32:24 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Changed thermostat - temp gauge still reads stone cold
Comments: To: "syncro.carboncow" <syncro.carboncow@GMAIL.COM>

I'll ditto that on the longevity and reliability of temp sensors on vanagons for ecu and temp gauge. I can count the faulty ones I've found, in years of vanagon repair, on one hand. I seldom test them, and they are usually in the ball park if I do.

In order to better understand, and thus be better able to FIX your vanagons, I encourage people to test, troubleshoot, and diagnose, not just run out and buy parts first thing.

Re the fan not running, rad fan I assume ..... Wbxr's run quite cool anyway, even with new t-stats - like they can take 20 minutes driving to get up to temp, so idling and waiting around for the rad fan to come on, on a winter day , sometimes they almost won't. I always jumper the wires at the sensor to make sure the circuit works, which they usually do, and I've seen a couple aftermarket weird sensors- one with two contacts instead of 3, but mostly those work too, most of the time. Scott www.turobvans.com