Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:26:02 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: removing all wheels, where to lift and place jack stands
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

On the front, middle jacking point is that cross bar that the spare tire holder hinges on. On manual transmission vanagons, the rear middle jacking point is the front transmission mount. On automatic trans vanagons you 'can' jack there, but it puts direct stress on the trans mount. I put together a thing made out of 2 X 6's that will span across there to the frame rails outboard of the front trans mount, and it's double thickness out at the end.

OR ...i also jack them by the bottom of the rear trailing arms. Need to be careful, it can slip off the jack there. Of course that's only one side at a time. IF I were going to want to do the rear that way, I'd do the rear end FIRST, then the front end.

You need to ALWAYS be careful jacking the second end up, since the floor jack pad doesn't travel straight up, but moves in a curve. So the jack MUST be able to roll freely on a hard floor, or, you risk pulling the van off the jack stands one is already sitting on. ( insert the famous comment - ask me how I know, here ) .

For jack stand points, at the rear, they hook very, very well into the outer edge of the trailing arm, diagonally positioned. This REALLY is a stable deal. At the front, use the stock jacking points, but as you can see......if the van were to move a bit fore-aft, it could slip off the jack stand. Just be careful and you'll be fine, very careful.

It's very normal for the 4 points to not be exactly equal. I sometimes have to put a one inch wood pad on a rear jackstand to keep the van from rocking.

I ALWAYS take my wheels and tires for mounting, I never give 'em the whole van. Scott www.turbovans.com