Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:53:21 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Overheated Westy '87
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@cs.indiana.edu>

That's right. I also would suggest people stop thinking stainless steel is titanium. It's not, it can rust, and it's not very strong actually. There are different grades and alloys of course. I think the metal pipes are galvanized then painted black. With care, they are sure not the weakest part of a vanagon, that's for sure. My hunch is they went to plastic pipes just to save on production costs, and for no other real reason. I can't say that they really are thinking about how long the parts will last, like 20 years down the road, but much more about production costs and will it make it through any warrantee periods. It's always finding a balance between cost, strength, weight, and ease of production, and possibly how long something will last, but I think that last one is the lowest priority probably. You can see how attractive plastic starts looking ..... - once the machine is made to cast the part...then millions of them can be turned out at extremely low unit cost. There's how elegant a part looks too, in terms of automotive art - Bugatti comes to mind ....no effort or expense spared to make it as good looking and well made a possible. Pure automotive engineering art ! Even heads and blocks cast as one piece. Now THAT'S what a waterboxer needs !!! The price of the van was already in trouble. I have a window sticker here for a almost cherry 82 Sunroof diesel van that I have - 13,000 dollars, plus $ 595.00 for the sun roof option. Bit spendy at the time and in the market. Scott www.turbovans.com

-----Original Message----- From: Allan Streib [mailto:streib@cs.indiana.edu] Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 3:27 PM To: Scott Daniel - Shazam Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Overheated Westy '87

Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> writes:

> Yes, but if you change and service the coolant very regularly, those > pipes will last quite a long time, unless it's external corrosion > from a harsh environment. To protect against that, someone has to > keep the outside of the pipes properly painted and protected from > corrosive attack.

They should've used stainless pipes not plastic or steel, guess that would've added a lot to the price of the van.

Allan -- 1983 300D 1966 230