Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Dec 2007 18:30:30 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Buying Vans on e-Bay
Comments: To: VW Doka <vw.doka@gmail.com>

I agree with what you say, but would like to add one thing. I've done over a hundred and fifty transactions on ebay, so I no pro but no newbie either. All my transactions have been good, I have to say. But a few years back I had looked at something vanagon-oriented, but it turned out to be in the UK so I didn't pursue it further. I may have asked the vendor a question. I did not buy, sell, or look at anything else for about two weeks before that and a week after, so I figure this incident was related to the only other ebay event during that time period. In that week after, ebay sent me a message about fraudulent activity and killed my account. They weren't phishing, they killed it. They gave me a link to make my case for reinstatement, and so I did. They were quite chatty. I would send them an email through the link, and they would get right back. Within 24 hours, I had a new username (which they provided) and a new password which I got to edit. We corresponded about six times.

Someone, it seems, was using my account information to list a camcorder that did not exist, and they were selling it over and over and the money went into an account in Russia.

When I asked them about how someone actually got my old username and password for this illegal purpose, the chattiness ceased, immediately. No reply. Ever. About anything I asked. They had a problem where people could steal user info and use it, and they not only chose not to discuss it, but to even admit it.

That's pretty bad. They could prevent a lot of ebay crime by admitting and discussing it. They don't deserve to be held to a different standard, but they owe the public better than they're giving them.

Jim