Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Dec 2007 22:49:48 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Sailing experience, anyone? (No Vanagon Content)

This question may appeal to anyone who owns a sailboat, or who sails, or who just klnows more than I do about them. I have never been sailing.

I am attempting to kedge a sailboat off a beach this Friday.

Kedging is the nautical term for winching.

It's been there for 46 days, on a remote beach, high and dry, since it was grounded there October 18. Several good floating high tides have come and gone. The owner has abandoned it.

It's a wood hull, 30 feet long, lead keel, no engine, but has sails. It's been spared damage by winter storms but came very close today.

A friend is helping me. We have a chain , Navy anchor, winches (2 2-ton come-alongs.

Still needed is 100 feet of line .

I have been hiking and paddling this beach all my life. I work long hours, 6 days a week- I guess you could say this challenge is a break from the daily grind.

And I hate to see it lost. There's a bouy out 100 yds or so we will tie up to after we float it.

We have inspected the hull- it is sound, no leaks, the bilge had only 3 or 4 gallons of water, and the waves wash around the boat at high tide.

The approach to the low -tide mark is smooth and clear. If we can get it out 50 feet that will be over 7 feet of water at high tide.

Any ideas or advice p-mail me.

I told you there was no Vanagon content. Just that i will be using my Westfalia to bring the kayaks down where we'll be using to bring the towing equipment with.

Robert

1982 Westfalia

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/sports;_ylt=At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G1SQtBI7ntAcJ