Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Dec 2007 08:20:48 -0800
From:         "Chris S." <mrpolak@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1-800-Howsmydriving?
Comments: To: Matthew Snook <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM>

On the open interstate I keep my revs at around 4200 rpm which works out to a about 75 mph. It's hard to keep the camper at speeds below that. I do not have to downshift unless I'm in the mountains pulling up a serious hill. I realize that's faster than most folks are comfortable with, but I've put over 70K miles on my previous camper driving at those speeds with no ill effects on original heads.

Also, the speedo in my two campers actually reads a little low unlike what most folks here report.

Chris S.

----- Original Message ---- From: Matthew Snook <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 12:38:02 AM Subject: 1-800-Howsmydriving?

OK, I have a question for all the techsperts out there. I'm a new Westy driver, and I have a question about how to drive so as to minimize engine wear. My speedo is lame, so I can't trust it - reads 80 when I'm purdy sure it's only doing 55mph. So I drive with the tachometer instead.

I've been keeping it at 3200 rpm, which I believe comes out to about highway speed anyhow. When I encounter a hill which drops the tach to 2500, then I shift down to 3rd, which pops it up to 3500, and I then drop it back to the same 3200 I was maintaining in 4th. When I top the hill, I accelerate up to 3500 and shift, bringing it back down to 2500 again, and work it back up to the target of 3200.

Is this a good range for the 1.9 I've got in here? The redline is way up by 5000, but it sounds to me like 4000 is as high as I want it to go! Any suggestions? Is it better to keep the rpms higher than that, or lower, 'er whut?

Thanks, Matt

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs