Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Dec 2007 14:50:56 -0900
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: rear heater core in front, was: New thermostat funky?
Comments: To: Lee Peterson <iridewheelies@gmail.com>

Re: "Mark,

> You can't leave me in suspense like this!

> "In my case it took longer but that was because I modified the heater box and air intake system to improve the output for the front heater."

> What did you do, and did it work? I'm putting a new core and fan this weekend.

> Lee

> 89 syncro

Since you asked, this is not a finished write up but it will explain what I have been up to. The ideas used to do this came both from my mind and of List member Neil Nicholson, whom thoughfully posted both to the List and his website his attempts do accomplish the same goal during the conversion of his van from air to water cooling. I undertook this project in an attempt to improve the front heater efficiency and because I was already going to have my dash out to replace a leaking heater core, and a broken passenger side wiper pivot. While I had the dash out I also added sound deadening material and insulation to the front of the van. This will have little affect until I do the rest of the van but rather than stripping the entire interior at one time I will do a section at a time as time allows.

If you are bored, have extra time, already have need to replace your front heater, and want to improve on your front heater output you can join me in my experiment to do so The primary problem with front heater output in Vanagons stems(IM not so HO) from the inability to shut off the outside air intake and switch to recirculated cabin air. To some this is not an issue, but for me driving to work in subzero temperatures it creates a problem. With air that cold constantly being supplied to the heater core it is difficult to keep the interior of the van warm, making my white Syncro resemble a freezer both inside and out. Curing this is a two step problem, three if at first you have to admit the problem exists. First you have to devise a way to block the outside air intake, then you need to provide a passage for recirculating air back to the heater core. To block off the air intake you can either construct a flap for the opening behind the grill(outside the van), or make one to install inside directly in front of where the air first enters the heater box. This requires removing the heater box, but you will have to do so anyway when you make the return air passages, it is also easier to make a door for this spot as the area is flat, smooth, and reasonably square(or easily made to be square). The outside opening behind the grill is easier to access but harder to make a door for that fits and will seal shut, and again, as you have to pull the heater out to make the return air passages, you might as well make the door for the inside location. I confess that at this time I have NOT made a door and for now have just blocked this off with sheet aluminum. I did this as I was in need of my vehicle for transportation and will be making a door later this winter, using my parts van for measurements, and istall it next spring. The door will need a control device for which I am currently planning to use a manual cable control assembly to be acquired from my FLAPS. Step two of this project is to make a new air intake system that utilizes recirculated cabin air. To do this I chose to sacrifice the vents at each end of the dash, the ones that previously supplied fresh air for the driver and front passenger. To do this I left their hoses to the heater box off and made tubular(semi) inserts that fit inside the heater box where each hose went. The inserts do two things, they route the incoming air toward the fan and hold the free floating flap that VW put into the passage in the open position. I bench tested the unit for airflow after the mods were done and was pleased with the results. This is a work in progress and I have found that the interior windows steam up more now, they do clear up after a while but not during short drives. I hope to alleviate this once I have made and installed a working door for the outside air intake, rather than the block off plate that I am currently using. Other than that I am so far pleased with the amount of heat that I am able to produce from the front heater now. I have also found a partial work around for the fogging in that if I cover the some of the upper dash vent openings I can direct more flow to the areas that need it most. If any one has any input that they would like to share on this please do so, I welcome any and all ideas and suggestions. Mark in AK -- Looking for more heat on those cold Winter days