Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Dec 2007 16:42:45 -0500
From:         Walter Houle <whoule@ECSCONTROLS.COM>
Subject:      Re: New thermostat funky?
Comments: To: Rocky Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

Mike -

There's too many coincidences here. I have the same engine, I just installed the same low temp thermostat and a new temp sensor, and every week or two I make almost the same drive home. Mine takes me from the Pine Hills area to San Diego via Engineers Rd, Hwy 79, and I-8. Not quite as high as Mt Laguna, about 5200 ft, but still plenty cold (for me), usually in the 40s coming home. There's about a 40 mile stretch where you lose 5000 feet and the throttle is barely cracked - there's not much load on the engine.

My temperature gauge behaves exactly as yours does. I also saw a difference in the gauge after the new T'Stat was installed - it certainly settles a lot lower now than it used to. However, my temperature gauge has never gotten anywhere near the LED on the way home in the winter even with the standard range thermostat. I've been doing this drive for over ten years and I always stare at the temp gauge, (paranoid, I guess - a couple of hose failures and a 22 year old van will do that), so I have lots of history with this.

I was curious about the lower temp reading but I quit worrying about it. I use my heater output as an indication that the engine is warm. With the temp gauge at "1/4" or less and the heater valve cracked slightly open, it provides plenty of warm air on my feet, opening it any more gets too hot.

What would be interesting would be knowing how much a 10 degree coolant temperature change will move the gauge needle. I await your findings!

Walter 85 Vanagon 1.9