Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Dec 2007 08:38:37 -0500
From:         mordo <helmut.blong@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Emissions failures make me feel like a failure

Thanks for the input, people. I am interested to know more abnout standards around the country too. I'll search for some compendium of standards at my leisure.

A few more items of note:

1. I am suspicious of a leak at the front of the cat - I'm not sure I got a good seal there even with two gaskets. I cannot detect a leak but the flanges are not parallel. 2. I had a light 1/4 tank of fuel when I went to test. I added about a liter of denatured alcohol just before driving 5 miles to the test station. 3. The engine was as hot as it ever gets without the fan coming on - just at the top of the LED. 4. It was about 30F and snowing at the time. 5. The exhuast pipe hose at the test station was almost flat - I don't know whether more flow or less would be better for my circumstance. The marginally intelligent woman operating it said "it don't matter." 6. The emissions test station literature suggests high NOx can be caused by a lean burn just as some of you suggest. However, the mix *seems* rich to me. Maybe a raw gas smell at the rear of the van suggests a tiny leak somewhere rather than a rich mixture? I certainly can't find a leak. 7. I have a spare ECU. Any point in swapping that out to see if it affects the running condition? 8. Is the typical mechanic equipped with any test devices that can measure what the emissions test station is measuring? I'd like to pre-test before going back.

cheers,

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Date: Dec 6, 2007 2:12 AM Subject: Re: Emissions failures make me feel like a failure To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com

Other tips for passing - You want it as warm as you can get it. Keep it running the whole time, I'm not suggesting this, but disconnecting the rad fan sender will get it really warm temporarily at idle !

Multi-electrode spark plugs - I have read of people reducing emissions for a smog test using those. I 'think' as you retard on timing NOx goes down, but too far and other things go back up. Always consider 'lean misfire' too as a cause of failing emissions results.

Not sure what to do about it, but I've heard that mentioned many times.