Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Dec 2007 21:07:56 -0500
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: New thermostat funky?
Comments: To: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

So you are going crazy trying to get that last mile to the gallon and you go ahead and install a thermostat that lowers engine temperature 10C. I will display a bit of attitude here but there is no good reason or benefit to doing this. In warm whether and high load, if the radiator can not keep up with the heat load, the lower stat opening sooner only delays the in-evitable. In addition, all aftermarket thermostats I have come across just don't wok quite right. VW has done some work here and the OEM stat is now on revision F. The major difference is the upper disc actually has a rubber type seal on so that when it is closed there is virtually zero passage of coolant to the radiator. The response is also much faster than most t-stats.

The VW T-stat is actually used as a mixing valve. It is not a simple open-closed set up. Also, in extreme conditions, the cooling system should be able to handle peaks up to 240F or more. Remember that 15 psi and 50-50 coolant mix should be good up to 260F not the we want to go here. Low temp stats and fan switches are either compromises for other issues or a false sense of security. The real test is that coolant stays pressurized and flowing.

You also want to get the engine warm and have it stay fairly steady. Having it constantly vary will add wear and each of these cycles helps get those stud and gasket failures.

Yes, on extended down hill runs it is normal for the engine to cool off. Especially if the front heater is going full blast. I always get a kick out of folks opening all the levers and putting the front heater fan on high to warm the interior up quickly. All that air is outside air! Yes best heat is with that fan on a lower speed. In fact once under way I turn the fan off and just let the ram air push in. Plenty of heat that way!

Dennis