Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Dec 2007 20:03:46 -0600
From:         Ben Cichowski <aquasheck@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Recommended coolant

David,

flip the jug over and take a look at the ingredients list. Many that do not specifically say "phosphate free" are indeed free of phosphates. Prestone "Extended Life" for instance does not contain any phosphates...but it also does not say that on the front label.

More than anything; however, it boils down to the type of water you are mixing it with. If you mix phosphate containing antifreeze with hard water (waters high, for the most part, in dissolved Calcium and or Magnesium) phosphates will destabilize at high temperatures and actually precipitate out these minerals leaving deposits in your system. This is just a function of phosphates at high temps.

It is actually sort of an odd reaction - at lower temps, phosphates are used in the water industry (not only for corrosion protection as it is here) but also to sequester dissolved iron and manganese, i.e. keep these minerals in solution so they do not precipitate out on your nice white bathtubs and the like.

The short version of this long-winded email is that our Euro cars call for phosphate free because the water in Europe is higher in hard water minerals like Calcium and Magnesium, and metals like Iron and Manganese as well. I'd still certainly go with phosphate free, but I think labels have changed in recent years because it is not much of an issue for us over on this side of the pond.

-Ben

_________________________________________________________________ Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.Download today it's FREE! http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_sharelife_112007