Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Dec 2007 20:09:18 -0600
From:         **************************** <vw4x4@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: cold idling, stalling problems, fixed! Battery!?
Comments: To: Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>

Mark, I think your on to something. I currently have very simular symptoms. Battery is unkown in age, but its a die-hard from Sear, and it just started the van in 7 deg. temps. There is obviously a bad cell becuase the voltage is low with the headlights on: about 12.4 volts. I have idle problems after start up on very cold mornings, aand also as the engine returns to idle (hot) is sometimes drops to low for a second or so. I also have a year old battery, witch I will swap out and report the findings...

From: Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET> Date: 2007/12/07 Fri PM 04:01:34 CST To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: cold idling, stalling problems, fixed! Battery!?

For several weeks now my recently purchased 87 Gl hauler has had an aggravating tendency to idle low or die when first started on a cold morning. It also would die at every stop sign for the first few minutes. As the weather cooled more this got worse and finally it would not start cold at all unless I held the pedal down a little while cranking and then I had to hold the revs up for a minute before I could drive away or it would die.

I tried replacing the plugs, cap, rotor and wires since all were suspect. No change. I ordered a temp 2 sensor but before it arrived I connected my Digitool and saw that the readings of that sensor were fine.

I left the Digitool connected and used the van daily while scratching my head for what to do next. One morning I happened to have the Digitool set to "battery voltage" and that gave me the clue I needed, as I struggled to get it to start. I saw that the voltage was a little low before starting the engine, dropping much lower while cranking. I opened the battery compartment and looked for the date code on the clean looking battery. There was a small sticker saying D01, meaning April 2001. 6+ years old. The terminal connections were clean and tight. I had a newish spare battery, 1 year old, so I quickly swapped it in. The cold engine started immediately and idled fine. It has continued to do so ever since. No more stalling, period.

I never expected this to be so simple as a battery problem, since the engine cranked fine. It was not until I had the Digitool hooked up that I could see the problem. The Digitool has a setting where it displays the voltage that powers the ECU, measured right inside the ECU. This was showing 13.4 while the engine was running but only 11.xx when the key was on but engine not started. During cranking it dropped to 9.xx.

Perhaps this is a case of a fresh battery masking some additional underlying fault or overcoming a general weakness in the power supply circuit for the ECU. The dieing behavior when coming to a stop while cold was very abrupt,as though the key was turned off.

Mark