Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Dec 2007 18:50:26 -0800
From:         Paul Guzyk <paullist@GUZYK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ball joints and steering rack

Upper ball joints are a piece of cake...unless your van lives in the rust belt, then it may be a little tougher.

spray the two (8mm I think) allen bolts with PB Blaster the night before. While you're at it spray the large nut and the tapered shaft of the old ball joint too.

Loosen the big nut on the ball joint (27mm I think, remove cotter pin first if equipped), then wack the top of the steering knuckle with a big hammer to separate if from the ball joint. If you have a pickle fork even better.

Lastly, remove the two allen bolts, ball joint should fall into your hands.

this sight should be helpful:

http://volksweb.relitech.com/uballjnt.htm

----

Lower ball joints...that's a whole different ball game (pun intended)