Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Dec 2007 13:45:05 -0800
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1wbx into 85 GL
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Thanks Scott. You and Mark Drillock gave almost the exact answer and he said to just use a late model dash pod to make the wiring easy and get the oil pressure sensors working. Makes sense, just wanted to check. Gotta flip this camper quickly to fund another SVX swap.

df

----- Original Message ---- From: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> To: dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM> Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:06:10 PM Subject: RE: 2.1wbx into 85 GL

It's a piece of cake. I did it 100 % to 86 specs, Including the cooling system layout, which is different - the hoses above the transaxle area, and water distribution box there. All that. I put the ecu under the back seat etc. BUT ..............tell you what I'd try now if I had time to do it, is run the 2.1 on the 1.9 fuel system to try that out . Here's why : I have an 83 westy that the PO claims is a 2.1 block, but it's all 1.9 spec in every other way. It does seem to run quite strongly. It sure runs more strongly than the 2.1 I put in my 85 Wolfsburg Weekender - tho that is an auto trans, and they sure suck up power and throttle response, And ...........the most powerful stock factory engine is a 2.1 that runs a 1.9 type fuel system, with no cat ( and maybe no oxygen sensor ) that I read about. Forget the engine code. Supposed to be 110hp I think. For markets like Finland. But yep, it all goes together. You won't have a dynamic oil pressure circuit for the dash, so the oil pressure switch by the crank pulley, you'll just ignore that. And if you can keep all 1.9 cooling system on it ( which isn't quite as good a cooling system I don't think as the 2.1 ) that will simply the swap. To do it 2.1 like, you need about ten or 2.1 cooling system parts, from an 86.

But the basic answer is, there's no big terrible gotcha about the electrical/electronic interface. You 'might' have to get think a bit about interfacing the instrument cluster and engine, but nothing really jumps to mind right now, other than that minor oil pressure switch thing. Scott www.turbovans.com