Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Dec 2007 13:54:29 -0800
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1wbx + auto trans into 85 GL
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

~14 hours in my shop. I have done quite a few conversions myself and have parted more vans than I can keep track of. I have the luxury of multiple bays with hoists and a rolling table that has a hydraulic lift as well. In the past we have done major work on heavy equipment, so a Vanagon engine and trans is a joke for the tools we have.

Thanks for all the help. Looks like its a go for after the Holidays.

df

----- Original Message ---- From: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, December 9, 2007 4:20:00 PM Subject: Re: 2.1wbx + auto trans into 85 GL

Well, I'd suggest not having any illusions that's just 6 hours work - lol !

Always them out as a unit if you can, THAT is quicker than pulling one, then the other, considerably so. But once out, I separate them so they're easier to move around and store. But go for it. I do engine conversions all the time. And really, between the engine and the fuel system, there are about 10 signals or wires from the vanagon body to the engine systems - gauge things, power supply to the ecu, etc. You need to know what you're doing, and read the wiring diagrams. But the actual electrical interface is not that much. I'm always going for getting it running first, and do embellishments later, so in the beginning I might just keep the 1.9 instrument cluster in at first. If you do go to put a 90 instrument cluster into an early body, the wires change some at T14, that plug on the bottom of the instrument cluster. That connect 'opens up' so you can move the wires in it from one position to another, so if say tach signal was on pin 6 in an 85, but pin 9 in a 90 ......................you can move them over. You figure this out from Bentley of course.

It helps to always say what your real project and goal is, rather than ask some question first, and THEN inform other members what you are really trying to do. Just don't think it's a 6 hour job, but it is perfectly doable. The cooling system might be the most work - deciding to adapt the engine to 1.9 cooling system, or the van to 2.1 cooling system. Either way is a lot of work, but I'd 'do it right' , since you have a whole 90 body to get stuff from.

Have fun ! Scott www.turbovans.com

As always I should have explained more......................

What I am looking to do is swap the entire driveline from a 91 Carat into an 85 Westy. The Carat had 60k miles when totaled, front impact and the Westy needs both engine and trans. I have all the wiring from the Carat intact so I would rather upgrade the Westy with all the Carat stuff in the engine bay.

I am trying to keep the labor and time way down on this project and not disassemble either engine. So I don't even plan on separating the engine from the trans. Out of one and into the other.

Thanks to all who fired off quick replies and step by step for the engine.

df

----- Original Message ---- From: Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, December 9, 2007 12:28:47 PM Subject: Re: 2.1wbx into 85 GL

There is a great write-up of how-to-do for just this project already available:

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/19to21.htm

This is the guide I am using right now, to get things set up for my engine swap in the spring.

dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM> wrote: I am contemplating swapping in a fresh 2.1 wbx in place of a failed 1.9 in a 85 GL. I have numerous late model 2.1 engine bay harnesses and ecus. Is this a plug and play type swap or is the older wiring from the ignition and front of van not capable of the swap?

TIA,

dylan

There is no difference in the installation of an auto trans from a '91 to an auto trans from an '85. My daily driver '85 is right now running the complete trans from my '91 parts van. The mounts, linkage, everyting is all the same. The internals between transmissions differ, but we ain't goin' there! The biggest problem will be swapping the coolant items specific to a 1.9 over, onto your 2.1. The waterpump, thermostat housing, croos-over tube, etc., etc., will all bolt up, but will need to be swapped. The distibutor is another notable "keeper". You do not need or really want to change over the ECU and harness. Lots more trouble than the benefits to be gained.

Just remember to write down somewhere that the engine is not stock....!

dylan friedman <insyncro@yahoo.com> wrote: As always I should have explained more......................