Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:41:23 -0500
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC - On a Personal Note
Comments: To: Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@yahoo.com>

My deepest condolences Malcolm --- try and take comfort in the thought that Pat is now in a place where the van never breaks down....

Doug

On 12/7/07, Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@yahoo.com> wrote: > > Please forgive me, but on Fridays we sometimes share personal issues on > this vanagon list as over > the many years, we have become like family. > > It is with great sadness, I inform you all that after a 16 month battle > with cancer, my wife > Patricia Baker died last Saturday evening at the palliative care unit of > Halifax's Victoria > General Hospital. She died peacefully, surrounded by family and > friends. She was 52! > > As all who knew Pat will understand, she showed great strength of > character throughout this whole > ordeal; never angry, never bitter, always accommodating, and always > thinking of others needs > before her own. Patricia will be greatly missed by many people. > > Patricia was smart (4.0 GPA for all of her Bachelor's, Master's and > Doctorate degrees), well > respected professionally (awarded the Sarah Shorten award by our Canadian > Assoc. of University > Teachers), she was 3 year president of our University Faculty Assoc. and a > published author. She > was kind, loving, selfless, self-deprecating, and absolutely > scrupulous. We had one of those rare > 'soul-mate' or 'kindred spirit' relationships that most people can only > hope for. > > For this list; Pat took to Westy camping like a duck to water. During our > 16 years together, she > was with me through 2 vans: a 1986 French syncro westy that we bought in > Morocco and drove all > over Morocco and 3 trips throughout Europe. Then came my 1991 syncro > westy that we shipped to > Egypt and, during the year that we were there, drove all over Egypt. As if > that was not enough, we > then drove the van from Cairo to Amsterdam; though Jordan, Syria, Turkey, > Greece, and up through > Europe, 11 weeks and 10,000 kms. We also made 2 Canadian coast-to-coast > trips. > > As a visual tribute to Pat, there are a few photos at: > http://picasaweb.google.com/mstebbins/PresentPat Some are of Pat & the > vans. > > I thought long and hard about posting this, and I realized that what I > really wanted to say is > that next time your van breaks down, don`t get angry, at least wife is > THERE to yell at you. :-) > > > Malcolm (Halifax, NS) > > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________ > Looking for last minute shopping deals? > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping >

-- http://www.dougalcock.com