Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:20:50 -0500
From:         Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Municipal camper bans

The more I look at it, the more Draconian this appears to be. The ordinance would prohibit "standing or parking" (with no time limit mentioned) of any "house car...(or) recreational vehicle" on city streets, anywhere in Oakland. The California State definition of a recreational vehicle (which this ordinance incorporates in its text) is broad enough to include Westies, Weekenders, and any other conversion made for "recreational purposes." No mention of size, no mention of time. Put simply, park your van on the street, for even 10 minutes, and you can get a $250 ticket, with towing on the second offense. This is true for anybody passing through Oakland and who is otherwise legally parked at a meter or whatever.

I don't have a side yard, like most Oaklanders, and my garage isn't big enough for the Vanagon.

Sorry to belabor this--I know it doesn't affect most of us here--but watch for it coming to a theatre near you soon.