Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Dec 2007 21:19:26 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Taxing eclectic fuels
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

Ah ha, so you would be opposed to anyone being able to drive on public roads on a fuel they get themselves somehow, rather than through the normal infrastructure ? Like they are cheating the system. There is merit to that argument of course. Fuel tax is 'fair' in a way, since it reflects actual use. ( and we won't even mention that if you're a CEO at 600,000 , or 5 million a year, $ 3/gallon costs nothing compared to what it costs for a guy working at McDonalds - never mind that factor for now ) .

I am extremely opposed to toll booths for two main reasons - One, the traffic jams they cause and stopping and accelerating again, I guestimate waste roughly a million gallons of gas a day in the US. Secondly...............no one notices the tooth takers standing there breathing car fumes 40 hours a week ? Who is going to be paying for their lung cancer or other diseases after a career of that ??? - talk about dysfunction human behavior - and I'm not talking about the people taking the tolls, I'm talking about who creates those jobs. If there are to be any tolls, electronic scanning it is the only way. The people-hours and fuel wasted by toll booths is just a silly joke and huge waste. I knew when I was 6 years old that everyone commuting to work at the same time was stupid.