Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:58:04 -0800
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: transmission
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

I should clarify it further.

I now have to start the engine with the clutch pedal depressed (clutch disengaged). Everything will be fine (no noise) and I can shift to every gear.

But as soon as I gradually release the pedal (begin to engage the clutch) the noise begins. This includes that the gear is in neutral.

Scott is probably right that it is input shaft or the tranny's main shaft. My guess is in the sleeve that connects the two. The traany's main shaft has all the geras, sliding hub, sync rings for the 3rd/4th so it must be heavy to turn. If the sleeve is cracked the input shaft will skid and make noise from grinding the teeth on the sleeve. It is possible too that a shaft is broken off and is hitting everything it touchs when it spins. That has been in my nightmares. I like the idea that the sleeve is cracked.

My clutch has a long chattering history. I wonder if this can cause the sleeve to wear out and crack eventually.

David

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs