Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:35:56 -0500
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Snow chains

I previously sent this just to tom who asked the original chain question but i see my story may have some value to others

i bought a set of real chains last week ... for my 89 westie ... i bought real chains not the ones with cable links ... the cable link .. well ... those are only good for ... what... i do not know... http://www.lacledechain.com/cont.html ...home page http://www.lacledechain.com/cat/traction/passcar.php ...to choose chains i went with alpine premier because i have had use of chains on my 69 westie and my 89 http://www.lacledechain.com/cat/traction/pass_alpinedetail.php these have real chain links on both sides ... a word of note... i was told by several shops in washington state (les shwab and some shukys) that i could not ever find real chains to fit my tires 15- 65 even though they all had real chains on the floor display... one les shwab guy even told me that there was no place in his town that i could purchase chains except at the store i was in... even though across the street was a shuckys and an ok tire store ... the ok guy was very helpful and called around to several places that was where i found out that the laclede chain factory was in vancouver washington ... and 1 hour later i was in a shuckys in vancouver washington ... getting my real chains ... of course i bought two sets cause last year during a storm i actually worked my way through a set of chains ... total cost for both about 90$...

my westy with out chains is a useless wheel spinning fool on slopes or hills ... when trying from a standing stop ... with chains she is an unstoppable tank ... my tires are ... Model: HydroEdge Size: P215/65R15 Load Index: 95 Load Range: Max Load: 1510 / 1374 lbs Max Inflation Pressure: 44 psi these are the gowesty wheel pkg i purchased last year

with out chains on 14" OEM tires i had several really bad experiences and one ok experience ... with chains my only concern is keeping the loose end in tight with excellent bungee cords so the loose end will not slap against the wheel well .. .

one more word of caution ... carry with you also some quick links ... http://www.lacledechain.com/hardware/accesscon.html if you have a failure ... you can repair well enough to carry on without listening to the bang bang bang of broken links ... also have in your winter travel kit a decent shovel with a square face ... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DEN8EI?smid=A3ONVYY4BUAORQ&tag=nextag-tools-tier4-20&linkCode=asn and also a hammer ... marlin spike ... crescent wrench ... vice grips ... http://www.amazon.com/Cuttin-Horse-Marlin-Stainless-Handle/dp/B000R8AO9W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1197842431&sr=1-2 (you can look up the rest ) ;o) shovel to dig snow out from around tire wanting chains or chain repair ... marlin spike to open or spread links for repair also hold link while using hammer claws to spread broken link for removal... vice grips to hold chain if quick link tightens with a turnbuckle style closure crescent wrench for turning turnbuckle style closure ...

lastly ... once you chains are in your hands ... try them on your tires ... before you commence your next journey you do not want to be figuring this out while stuck on a dark and stormy night

good luck

-- roger w There are two kinds of jobs in the world: Picking up garbage and telling people things. Successful people do both, with the same good attitude. (riw) ----------------------------------------------------------- View the growing list of video work at: http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners and ... older work at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7135104650374818257 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3259745150182742364